102: Unforgivable Curses

Cassiopeia, Tom, and Draco entered the classroom, slightly late, drawing Professor Snape's burning gaze. His stern voice echoed as he addressed them, "One hour late, are we? Mr. Malfoy and Miss. Black, don't set a bad example for the new student."

Cassiopeia had no intention of being late, but she had to wait for Draco and Tom. They had gone to Diagon Alley to purchase a new wand for Tom. Tom's new wand was 11¾ inches long, crafted from Alder wood, and contained a Dragon Heartstring core. He took delight in the fact that they now shared the same wand core.

With a nod, Cassiopeia proceeded to her desk, noticing that the trio was scattered around the room. Just as she was about to sit down, Snape cleared his throat, capturing her attention.

"Black with Weasley," he announced, and her gaze shifted to the boy who had a small patch on the corner of his lip. "Malfoy with Potter."

Draco cursed under his breath as he moved to sit beside Harry, both wearing identical scowls. Hermione and Ron were positioned in the front row, with three desks separating them, while Harry sat three desks behind Hermione.

Snape turned his attention to Tom. "And—"

"Raven, Thomas Raven," Tom replied politely, and Snape nodded in acknowledgment.

"Raven with Granger," Snape finally assigned them, then took his position in front of the class. "I want you to write an essay on three Unforgivable curses. This will be a group project, not an individual assignment. By the time I return, I expect it to be completed."

The professor distributed three rolls of parchment and then left the room, locking the door behind him. Cassiopeia was eager to finish this task promptly, so she took up her quill and began writing.

She started with the Killing Curse.

"Are you beginning with that bloody killing curse?" Ron gasped, observing her writing.

Cassiopeia paused, looking at him. "Would you prefer me to start with another curse?" Ron shook his head, looking down. "I'm sorry... for what Draco did."

Though Draco had punched Ron because of Ron's offensive comment, it was no lie that Draco had initiated the incident by using the derogatory term "mudblood" to address Hermione.

"Don't act like you're better than Malfoy," Ron retorted, rolling his eyes. "I don't trust you. Maybe you're a Death Eater like him."

Cassiopeia shrugged her shoulders and carefully folded up her left shirt sleeve, revealing her forearm.

"Is that sufficient evidence for you to believe that I'm not a Death Eater?" she asked, watching Ron look away with a hint of regret. "Ron, I don't understand why you and Hermione despise me. We were good friends at one point. I have no idea what changed between us."

"Because you know something that Harry needs to know," Ron tapped the desk. "But you're unwilling to reveal it. You have a connection with You-Know-Who, and you won't disclose what it is. You could help Harry defeat that...bastard, but you refuse."

"It's not what you think, Ron," Cassiopeia sighed. "I'm aware of what I told Harry, but the connection had already been severed when I was in my fourth year."

Cassiopeia wasn't lying; she had ceased dreaming about her past memories in her fourth year. Ron sat in silence, staring into space as she continued with their essay.

The Killing Curse was their current focus.

An unblockable spell that caused instantaneous death, its incantation was Avada Kedavra. The wand movement resembled an "N" shape, resulting in a flash of green light upon casting. The counter-spell was sacrificial protection, powered by the magic of love. Priori Incantatem, on the other hand, had the ability to intercept the Killing Curse.