101: The Duel of Wands

Cassiopeia Black attentively listened as Professor Snape declared the duel between Gryffindor and Slytherin students, his clear bias favoring the Slytherins. The reputation of Slytherins excelling in Defense Against the Dark Arts compared to Gryffindors was no secret. The dueling pairs were established: Draco and Harry, Blaise with Neville, Tom with Ron, Pansy with Seamus, and Cassiopeia with Hermione and there were more Cassiopeia couldn't check out.

Confidence surged within Cassiopeia as she remembered the numerous defensive spells Tom had taught her, including those meant for unforgivable curses, which had left her in awe of his deep understanding of the Dark Arts. Most of their spells were executed non-verbally, a skill that Tom emphasized as superior due to the element of surprise it carried. As the duel progressed, Tom effortlessly deflected spells while Cassiopeia found herself pushing her limits. Their duel was proceeding smoothly until Theodore's inappropriate language disrupted the flow.

"Stupefy!" Hermione began casting spells as Cassiopeia blocked it in the middle.

"Petrificus Totalus,"

"Flipendo Maxima,"

"Expelliarmus,"

Hermione unleashed a barrage of spells, and Cassiopeia deftly blocked each one, skillfully defending herself. The duel's intensity continued to escalate, and Hermione's eyes blazed with an inexplicable anger, similar to the way she looked at Draco, even though Cassiopeia had never offended her. Cassiopeia couldn't understand why Hermione was acting this way, especially considering their close friendship.

As the tension in the room grew palpable, Cassiopeia felt the weight of everyone's eyes upon them. She remained vigilant, ready to block or counter a spell if Hermione made the first move. Professor Snape's voice broke the silence as he appeared beside them.

"Granger and Black," Snape addressed them. "Would you kindly conclude this duel before the class concludes?"

Both nodded, and their determined gazes locked. Hermione raised her wand, and Cassiopeia mirrored her actions.

Hermione initiated with non-verbal spells, sending a red light darting towards Cassiopeia. She absorbed it into her core, transformed it into a blue light, and then deftly redirected it back at Hermione. The duel became increasingly competitive as spell after spell was exchanged. Cassiopeia realized that Hermione possessed a wealth of knowledge from countless books, delving into ancient magic, which she had kept hidden until now.

Then, a surprising turn of events unfolded. A yellow light shot from Hermione's wand, transforming into a fiery ball in the air. Cassiopeia's eyes widened as she held her wand high, expertly redirecting the fireball back towards Hermione's feet, causing her to stumble.

Although she had the opportunity to harm her opponent, Cassiopeia chose not to, sending the fireball harmlessly away from Hermione.

"Expelliarmus," she chanted, successfully disarming Hermione.

Slytherins erupted in cheers as Cassiopeia approached Hermione, extending a hand to help her up. Hermione wore a scowl, but Cassiopeia didn't let it affect her.

"It was quite a duel, Hermione," Cassiopeia said with a genuine smile as she returned Hermione's wand.

"Quite impressive," Snape remarked, and Cassiopeia nodded, giving a modest smile. "The class is dismissed."

The students hurried out of the classroom, and Cassiopeia joined her friends. Tom casually wrapped his arm around her shoulder, offering a sideways embrace. "Improved a lot, haven't you?" he remarked.

"Quite impressive," Blaise mimicked in as they strolled into the corridor. "But, honestly, I expected nothing less. You do have an excellent Dark Arts teacher."