86: A Birthday Reconciliation

Cassiopeia and Tom hadn't spoken since the Winter Ball. She received owls from her concerned friends, all of them asking why she had left the event without a word. Even Draco reached out, expressing his regret for not being able to introduce Astoria properly. Cassiopeia chose not to reply to any of them, distancing herself in another room. Her days passed without any communication with Tom, and he didn't make an effort to bridge the gap, leaving them in a strained silence.

On this particular night, Tom had gone to bed early, giving Cassiopeia some space to bake his birthday cake. She had Kreacher's assistance in the kitchen, and as she worked on the cake's icing, Kreacher quietly tidied up the mess. Despite the fact that he knew about the tension between Cassiopeia and Tom, he refrained from asking any questions.

Cassiopeia had heard Kreacher scolding Tom the previous night, but Tom had hurriedly left the kitchen when she entered. She continued to ignore him, unable to believe that, despite everything that had transpired, she was still making a cake for him, relying on her own skills rather than magic. It was a testament to her love for him, even though he seemed oblivious to its depth.

Cassiopeia's past life remained a blur in her memory, but the vivid dreams she had experienced stayed with her. She often wondered whether her return to life was due to the dark arts Tom had used or some form of reincarnation. She knew that Tom truly loved her; otherwise, he wouldn't have gone to such lengths to bring her back. There were questions she wanted to ask, like why her uncle had given him dark arts books, but she refrained from doing so. She didn't want to add to their troubles. If she inquired, her uncle would have to explain to Tom and Draco, which could potentially lead to a confrontation.

Kreacher's voice broke her reverie. "Miss. Arctula?"

She responded with a soft sound, her focus unwavering on the cake icing.

"At what time will Miss. Arctula be leaving for Miss. Parkinson's house?" Kreacher inquired, clearly concerned.

Cassiopeia had decided to leave for Pansy's place, and she had sent Kreacher ahead to inform her friend. Pansy was welcoming and keen for her mother to meet Cassiopeia since they hadn't had the chance at the Winter Ball.

"Right after Tom sees this," Cassiopeia replied, sighing as she finished icing the cake. "I need you to take me to Pansy's place. When he comes down, let him know that I left because I had to go to Hogwarts with my friends, okay?"

"As you wish, Miss. Arctula," Kreacher bowed. "Just five more minutes, miss."

"Sure, wait. I'll get my trunk," Cassiopeia said as she placed the cake in the center of the counter, a small piece of parchment beside it bearing the words 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM.'

"Kreacher brought it down, miss," Kreacher smiled innocently. "Kreacher kept it in the visiting room earlier."

"Oh, thank you," Cassiopeia smiled at him. "Turn off the lights, Kreacher, and call him. I'll wait in the dark in the visiting room so he won't see me."

Cassiopeia then walked to the visiting room, settling on a sofa, as Kreacher darkened the manor to create a shroud of shadows. She found herself rubbing her face with both hands, lost in thoughts about the recent turn of events. Everything had been smooth until that fateful day. If she had only known the consequences of her actions, she never would have asked Draco to stay in the manor. She recognized that he was entirely blameless in this situation, as it was her decision to hide things from Tom that had led to this complex situation.

The sound of Tom's footsteps resonated through the manor as he hurried down the stairs. An air of tension filled the room.

"What the hell happened, Kreacher?" Tom's voice was filled with annoyance. "Why did you wake me up in the middle of the night, you insufferable elf?"