123: A Game of Jealousy

"Do you know who Tom's date is?" Cassiopeia asked, curling the two strands of her hair on both sides.

"Just don't care about him, love," Pansy shook her head, skillfully putting Cassiopeia's hair into a stylish bun. "I really love to see you two together, but at some points the way he treated you like you're worthless makes me want to hex him."

Cassiopeia chuckled, looking at the scowl on Pansy's face in the mirror. Pansy was stunning with her curly hair, and the new hairstyle gave her a different yet equally captivating look. Blaise was in for a pleasant surprise when he saw her.

"So, what about Gregory?" Pansy asked, glancing at Cassiopeia through the mirror.

"I mean, the last couple of days, I saw you two getting pretty close," she shrugged her shoulders. "I wasn't surprised when you said he asked you to be his date."

"He's a good friend and really different from back then," Cassiopeia explained. "He's the one who told me it's Tom's bad luck not to have me in his life."

"Whoa, that boy has changed since Crabbe's expulsion," Pansy patted Cassiopeia's shoulder, signaling that she was done with her hair. "I thought he had a crush on you. I saw him glance at you twice."

"Bloody hell, Pansy," Cassiopeia turned around. "He's just a good friend. Let's say he opened up a bit during the times I was tutoring him. He's really different from the last time I saw him in the fifth year."

"He became a quieter person after what happened with Crabbe," Pansy remarked as they finished putting on their heels. "It's like he was ashamed of his friend's actions."

Cassiopeia nodded, not knowing how to respond. Gregory Goyle, whom she had warned two years ago, had become a different person in a better way. She knew it was because of what he had to go through in his family; his father was imprisoned in Azkaban for being a Death Eater. She didn't want to reveal the specifics to Pansy, as Gregory had told her in confidence. Now, she had to thank him for being her partner and allowing her to have a date for the Winter Ball.

***

"Why so nervous?" Gregory asked as Cassiopeia sighed at the entrance of the Great Hall, beautifully decorated for the Winter Ball. She wore a glamourous black long dress that cut until her mid-thigh and had only one short sleeve. "Is it because of Raven?"

"Sort of," Cassiopeia bit her bottom lip. "Let's go."

She didn't look around, afraid to meet those familiar eyes. They both made their way to their friends who were already seated at a table with two empty seats for them.

As soon as they settled down, Cassiopeia's breath caught in her throat when she met those piercing eyes sitting across from her. She quickly took a glass of wine, avoiding eye contact.

While the Winter Ball was primarily for seventh years, Dumbledore allowed students from the fourth year onwards to attend. Cassiopeia noticed a girl with Tom, but she avoided looking at her too closely, fearing getting caught.

Hermione was with Ron, Harry entered the Hall with Ginny, and Cassiopeia couldn't help but feel surprised. She remembered Ginny was with Neville last time, and she wondered what had happened to him. Then she saw that Harry was with the dreamy Ravenclaw girl, Luna.

Cassiopeia's eyes scanned each and every student, realizing that most of the partners they had were not the same as at the Yule Ball in their fourth year. It was a reminder that time changed everything. Hermione with Ron as expected. Harry with Ginny which surprised Cassiopeia since she was with Neville in the Yule Ball. And Neville was with Luna, the Ravenclaw dreamy girl.

"Shall we dance?" Gregory asked, extending his hand to Cassiopeia. She nodded, smiling, and accepted his hand.

"Your mind isn't here at the Ball, Cassiopeia," he remarked as they positioned themselves to dance with others. "I know it's hard to see Tom with someone else."