111: A Sudden Illness

It had been two weeks since Cassiopeia's behavior had taken an unusual turn. Tom Riddle wasn't one to overlook the subtleties, and he noticed that her smile concealed something deeper. She spoke sparingly, ate less, and often seemed lost in her thoughts. He couldn't fathom the depths of her contemplations. It was during dinner in the Great Hall that he observed her peculiar behavior.

Cassiopeia's chewing was painstakingly slow, reminiscent of a snail's movements. It was evident that she hardly registered what was on her plate. A glance from Draco Malfoy, the blonde boy who Tom sometimes had to act as a friend in front of her, revealed that she was indeed acting strangely.

Knowing how much she wanted them to get along, Tom played his part in their faux friendship.

"Cass?" Draco called her but she didn't respond. She looked at nowhere, like she was in a trance.

"Cassie!!" Draco, however, had to raise his voice to get Cassiopeia's attention, causing her to drop her spoon with a clatter.

"Cass, what happened?"

"Huh?" She looked around, as if trying to understand her surroundings. "Na—nothing."

She forced herself to chew the spoonful of mashed potatoes she had in her mouth, pushing her half-finished plate away. She then stood up, mumbling, "I—I'm going to sleep," and wiped her mouth with a napkin.

"You didn't have water," Tom pointed out with furrowed brows.

"Oh, I forgot," she half smiled, gulping down the glass of water at one shot.

Tom and Draco exchanged puzzled glances, both noting her forgetfulness to drink water after the meal. Although her face was pale, and dark circles marred her eyes, Tom had never encountered her awake in the middle of the night.

"I have an announcement to make," Dumbledore said, capturing everyone's attention. "We're planning to hold a Winter Ball."

Draco gripped Cassiopeia's wrist, urging her to sit back down, a request she complied with without hesitation. The news of the Winter Ball spread excitement throughout the hall, and Tom assumed that Cassiopeia would be his partner, though her smile appeared different from her usual cheerful one when he brushed his hand against hers.

Tom tuned out Dumbledore's words, focusing on Cassiopeia. He considered her the perfect girl he had ever met, and nothing and no one could replace her, not even Bellatrix, who had an unhealthy obsession with him. She could never be Cassiopeia.

"Darling, what's wrong?" Tom asked in an undertone, bringing her hands to his lips.

"Nothing, I'm all good, love," she responded with a forced smile. "I'm just sleepy—shall I go?"

He nodded as she kissed his cheek quickly and stood up. Once she was out of his sight, he noticed that her facial expression had shifted to one of misery.

She hopped off the bench, informing Draco of her departure. But before she could take more than a few steps, she collapsed onto her knees, prompting Tom and Draco to spring from their seats.

Draco swiftly caught her before her head could hit the ground. The Great Hall fell silent, and Dumbledore's speech ceased.

"Cassie, look at me," Draco gently patted her cheek as she remained half-conscious. "Cass, can you hear me?"

"Don't leave me," she whispered before her head drooped to the side. Tom's frustration grew as he observed Dumbledore's inaction when a student was on the verge of fainting. Then he saw Snape and McGonagall rushing toward them. Draco wasted no time, hoisting her into his arms, bridal-style.