67: Rekindling Friendships

"It's really hard to believe that You-know-who has some soft side, really," Draco remarked as they entered the Great Hall for lunch next day. It was Cassiopeia's first day back at Hogwarts, and it felt overwhelming as she had much to catch up on, both in studies and the latest news.

Professor Snape, now teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts, seemed content with his role, which was a relief to Cassiopeia.

They quickly filled their plates since they had arrived late and didn't want to be tardy for their next class, Potions. Cassiopeia had explained everything to Draco that morning, and he was understandably surprised by Tom's behavior. They both knew Tom's Voldemort side, not the sweet Tom.

"How's Bellatrix?" Cassiopeia asked, recalling that Tom had obliviated her memory.

"It's so complicated. After You-know-who disappeared somewhere and didn't return to the manor for a day and a half, she got angry."

Cassiopeia added sarcastically, "Fair enough, since she's obsessively in love with him."

Draco teased her, "You're jealous, aren't you?"

Cassiopeia denied it, her frown revealing her true feelings. "Just continue what you were saying, rather than making jokes."

"Feisty," Draco chuckled before continuing, "She came back in the evening and called my mum. Mum and Dad asked whether she had found the Dark Lord, but she asked who the Dark Lord was."

Cassiopeia laughed, taking another bite of her sandwich. "It really worked, then. I wish I could have seen her face."

Draco, however, reminded her, "She's our aunt, after all. She loves us."

Cassiopeia retorted, "Not me, though," making her feelings about Bellatrix clear. She couldn't stand her after Sirius's death.

Suddenly, a small tap on Cassiopeia's shoulder snapped her. She turned around to see Nigel, a Gryffindor, a friend she hadn't seen in a while.

"Oh, Merlin. Nigel!" Cassiopeia hugged him, and he returned the gesture with a grin. They pulled away, and Cassiopeia asked, "How are you? You've grown since the last time I saw you."

Nigel replied, "I'm fine, thank you. I heard about what happened to you through Harry. I'm sorry for your loss."

Cassiopeia appreciated his sympathy. "That's alright. Have you eaten?"

Nigel admitted he hadn't, and Cassiopeia immediately invited him to share her meal. She noticed some hostile glances from other Slytherins, but she gave them a stern look, making it clear that she wouldn't tolerate any disrespect toward Nigel.

"Don't mind them; I'm here with you," Cassiopeia assured Nigel as she filled a plate for him.

Nigel looked at Cassiopeia with curiosity, his gaze drawn to the ring on her finger as she placed a plate for him on the table. "Do you have a fiancé?" he inquired, pointing at the ring.

Cassiopeia gave a simple nod. As he took the first bite of his meal, a smile formed on his face.

"Then you can take him with you," Nigel exclaimed, his joy evident. Cassiopeia, however, found herself dumbfounded by his statement, struggling to process what he meant.

"Take where, Nigel?" she asked, her confusion palpable.

Nigel took another bite before explaining, "Actually, I've told my parents how good you are, even though you're a Slytherin. So, I asked permission to invite you for a Christmas dinner this time. They happily allowed it."

Cassiopeia's eyes widened in disbelief. She hadn't experienced a proper Christmas since she left the Malfoys. Turning to Draco, she noticed his surprise mirrored her own.

Draco, true to his nature, couldn't resist being rude. "Why do you think a noble Slytherin like her would visit your house, Wolpert?"

Cassiopeia didn't appreciate his comment and responded by elbowing him harshly. "Be nice, Draco," she chided, sending him a death glare. He, however, chose to ignore her.

"Because she's unlike you, Malfoy," Nigel boldly answered as he continued eating.

"She's more dangerous than you think," Draco added, causing Cassiopeia to frown in response.

"Don't lie; I'm not dangerous," Cassiopeia defended herself. "Why do you think that, after all?"

Draco's response struck a chord. "Because there are so many mysterious things going on in your head since year four, and you've never fully revealed any of them, only partial details to me, who's always been honest with you."

Cassiopeia was left in contemplative silence. She couldn't deny that he was right; she had kept many things hidden in her mind, things she wasn't ready to reveal.

Overwhelmed by the conversation, she buried her head in her hands and lost her appetite for the rest of her meal.

With a forced smile, she turned to Nigel, who was nearing the end of his meal. "I accepted your invitation, Nigel. Thank you very much for the invitation; it means a lot."

Ruffling his hair, she lightened the mood as Nigel smiled with satisfaction.

"Will you bring your fiancé too, then? I hope he's also a very nice person like you," Nigel inquired.

Draco couldn't resist interrupting once again. "For your information, Wolpert, she has bad taste; her fiancé is the complete opposite of her."

Nigel wiped his mouth with a napkin and commented, "Alright, then. I guess he's not dangerous, since you said Cassie is dangerous, Malfoy."

Nigel playfully mocked Cassiopeia, leaving her momentarily shocked at his bravery for talking back to a Malfoy.

Impressed, she praised him, saying, "You've become braver. The month I wasn't here changed everyone's character. I'm proud of you, Nigel."

Nigel expressed his gratitude and waved goodbye as he left the Great Hall.

Draco couldn't resist a sarcastic comment. "Well, you're proud because your cousin was offended by a stupid Gryffindor?"

Cassiopeia rolled her eyes, urging him to move on. "Don't be childish; let's go."

She had lost her appetite due to the earlier conversation, so she left her plate unfinished. As they walked to their next class, she recalled Dumbledore's mention of a "surprise."

When they reached the Potions classroom, Draco opened the door and let Cassiopeia enter first. For a moment, she glanced around and noticed that the class wasn't yet full, which made sense since they had arrived early.

However, she was taken aback when she saw the new Potions professor standing at the front of the class. It became evident that this was Dumbledore's surprise.