112: A Heartfelt Confession

Cassiopeia's heavy eyelids reluctantly parted, her vision initially blurry. She closed her eyes and opened them again, allowing her eyes to adjust to the light. This time, her vision was clear, preventing the panic that had consumed her on her previous awakening.

Unlike the last time she had woken up, her headache was bearable. However, her lips and throat were parched from hours without water. She had no idea how long she had been asleep, but it was now evening. She turned her head and saw Tom writing notes in her book, gazing intently at his own.

"To—tom," she managed to utter his name. His head snapped in her direction as he set aside the books, moving closer to her.

Cassiopeia found herself unable to keep her distance from him, despite the fact that her parents' lives had been ruined. Her emotions were in turmoil, and internal debates raged in her mind, questioning whether she should hate him or love him.

Hate him? She knew she could never do it.

Love him? That was the one thing that no one, not even him, could prevent.

"You okay?" Tom gently caressed her cheek with the back of his hand. She smiled and nodded. "Let me call Madame Pomfrey."

"Please, don't," she implored, grabbing his hand before he could leave. "Just stay, please."

She wanted to talk to him. Despite her auntie's advice to remain silent, she couldn't keep things from him intentionally. She needed to confide in him. Hiding the truth from him was uncomfortable.

"All right," he sighed, placing the books back into the bag and taking a seat. "How are you feeling now?"

"Fine," she shrugged her shoulders, extending her hand toward him. "Can you lie with me? Please."

Tom considered her for a moment and then stood up as she moved to the side to give him space. He lay down beside her, turning to face her. She pulled herself closer to him, wrapping her arms around him.

"Can you talk to me now?" Tom gently kissed her forehead. "I'm not so foolish as to not realize that something is bothering you, princess."

She met his concerned gaze and rested her hand on his cheek. He kissed her palm, squeezing it.

"Can you promise me that you won't get angry with me?" Cassiopeia hesitated.

"I'll promise you anything," he reassured her, wrapping his arm around her waist. "What has been troubling you for the past two weeks?"

"I—I received memories of Mum and Dad," Cassiopeia confessed, pressing her lips together and toying with the button on his shirt. "A—and it just... I know you're not the same person you were before, but it's been bothering me a lot. I mean, Dad never had the chance to live with Mum, and she was isolated with me, and... I can't get those thoughts out of my mind. My Dad said he trusts that I'll make him proud one day, but will I?"

Finally, she looked up, meeting his concerned expression.

"Are you leaving me?" a desperate sadness crept into his voice. "I swear, I'm not that person. I just want to be with you, Cassie."

"No, I'm not leaving you; I could never do that," tears welled in her eyes. "I can't even hate you, and I can't stop loving you... I just needed some space to think about everything."

"I'm sorry," Tom blurted out, pulling Cassiopeia close to him. "I never wanted to make your life miserable like that. If I had known that Regulus and Vivien were your parents, I would never have laid a finger on them."

"We cannot change what has happened," Cassiopeia pressed her lips together, resting her hand on his chest. "I know you will look after me better than anyone."

"You trust me?" His eyes widened.

"Unless you break it," she playfully pinched his cheek, her smile adorable. "You're adorable."

"Of course, I am," he leaned in, but Cassiopeia quickly covered her mouth with the back of her hand. "Why?"

"I'm sick," she mumbled. "You'll get a fever too."

"Nonsense," he kissed her palm before gently pulling her hand away. "Then let's get sick together; we both can stay in the hospital wing."

Tom pulled Cassiopeia into a long kiss filled with love, care, and passion. She sunk her left hand into his hair, tugging it softly. She melted into the kiss, fully aware that she couldn't tear her soul away from him.

He was her blood, flowing in her veins, the breath that sustained her life, the warmth of her body that kept her alive. No one could ever take him from her.

"How long have I been sleeping?" she asked after pulling away from the kiss.

"About twelve hours," he shrugged. "You scared me to death. If you have any problems, tell me. We talked about this last year, silence is not—"

Cassiopeia pecked his lips, giggling. "Enough advice, all right?"

Tom chuckled, planted a kiss on her forehead, and closed his eyes. She stared at him for a few seconds, smiling. She truly loved watching him all day long.

"Ahem," Pansy cleared her throat, and Cassiopeia turned her head. "Finished your staring contest, love birds?"

Tom opened his eyes and got up from the bed.

"You know, Pansy," Tom began as he grabbed his bag. "You've disturbed us every time, and Merlin knows how many times you've done it."

"If I didn't, who would?" Pansy smirked as Tom rolled his eyes at her. "How are you feeling, Cass?"

Pansy sat on the bed, holding Cassiopeia's hand.

"Not bad," Cassiopeia smiled, squeezing Pansy's hand. "Just hungry, that's it."

"Stop missing your meals from now on," Pansy brushed her thumb on the back of Cassiopeia's hand. "If it's because of him, tell me, and I'll punch his nose."

"Don't boast yourself, Pansy," Tom sat on the chair, taking the books to continue writing from where he left off. "I know you can't do it because you think I'm hot."

"What?" Pansy furrowed her brows, looking at Cassiopeia. "You told him?"

"I didn't," Cassiopeia defended herself, holding her hands in the air. "He can read your mind."

"That's bad, Tommy," Pansy lamented.

"Stop calling me that," Tom rolled his eyes while writing. "I hate that name."

"Tommy got angry," Pansy teased, and Cassiopeia laughed, tears welling in her eyes as she saw how annoyed Tom was by that name.

"Ridiculous," he muttered without taking his eyes off the books.

For the rest of the time, they talked and joked, and Madame Pomfrey provided meals for Cassiopeia to regain her strength. Pansy enjoyed teasing Tom with annoying names, but he said nothing, only arguing and rolling his eyes at her. It was funny to see them bickering for no reason and heartwarming to witness how Tom got along with Cassiopeia's friends so smoothly.

A/N

Wondering about a double update?

For completion of 50K reads :)
(Saw right now)

Thank you everyone <3

~ monoceros_x 🦄