27: A Sudden Departure

Cassiopeia spent another day at Malfoy Manor, engrossed in reading new textbooks that were meant for her and Draco's use in their upcoming fifth year at Hogwarts. Her uncle had a habit of procuring textbooks well in advance, ensuring they were well-prepared before the start of the school year. Cassiopeia was currently immersed in the Advanced Transfiguration textbook, exploring spells like switching and conjuration, which Draco had encountered in his second year but hadn't been part of her studies thus far.

Suddenly, Narcissa stormed into the room, causing Cassiopeia to jump in surprise. Draco followed closely behind his mother, their faces etched with alarm. Cassiopeia had barely opened her mouth to inquire about the situation when Narcissa intervened.

"You have to go, you should leave here now," she urgently informed Cassiopeia.

Confusion washed over Cassiopeia. "Wait, what?" she questioned, still unaware of what was happening.

"I have sent an owl to the person you are going to be sent to," Narcissa continued, simultaneously employing her magic to prepare Cassiopeia's trunk. Draco and Cassiopeia exchanged bewildered glances.

"Mother, what's going on?" Draco inquired, but his mother offered no explanation. She worked swiftly, gathering Cassiopeia's belongings, including the textbooks she had been reading. Everything was packed into the trunk in a hurry, and her auntie appeared frantic in her movements.

Cassiopeia approached her aunt and gently seized her hand, trying to interject. "Auntie, what's going on?"

"No time to explain, love. You should leave," Narcissa said in a rush. "If he knows that Regulus's daughter is here, it will be another tragedy."

Cassiopeia, growing increasingly anxious, posed another question. "Who is he? From whom are you saving me?"

Narcissa retrieved a bangle and began to explain. "This is a Portkey. It will take you to a place where you will undoubtedly be safe."

"Who is he?" Cassiopeia inquired once more, gripping her trunk firmly and studying her aunt.

"The Dark Lord," Narcissa replied. The words hit Cassiopeia like a bolt of lightning, and she fell to the floor with a thud, causing an awkward movement in her neck that resulted in pain.

"Fudge it," she muttered under her breath, standing up. She rubbed the side of her neck and surveyed her unfamiliar surroundings. Several pairs of eyes were fixed on her, and she couldn't recognize any of them. However, her eyes fell on an unexpectedly familiar face.

"Professor Lupin!" Cassiopeia exclaimed as he greeted her with a warm smile. She found herself in a spacious kitchen with a long table, and a few people were seated around it. They all appeared to be members of the same family. Cassiopeia was somewhat taken aback by the motherly figure who approached her.

"You are safe here, darling," the woman with brownish-red hair said, embracing Cassiopeia before withdrawing to hold her face, offering a reassuring smile. Then, she introduced Cassiopeia to the three men at the table. "She's beautiful."

Cassiopeia cleared her throat awkwardly. "Uhm, sorry to ask, but where am I, and who are you?" She was baffled by their familiarity with her.

The woman replied, "Well, darling, I'm Molly Weasley, Ron's mother," and gestured toward a man with overgrown hair that nearly reached his neck.

"I've seen you somewhere," Cassiopeia said, her brows furrowing as she tried to recall where.

The man approached Cassiopeia, extending his hand for a handshake. She hesitated, her gaze shifting between his outstretched hand and his warm smile. Eventually, she accepted the gesture and shook his hand.

" Cassiopeia Black," she introduced herself, and his smile broadened.

"Sirius Black," he replied, causing her eyes to widen. She hadn't expected to meet someone like him in this particular situation.

"Seriously?" Cassiopeia gasped, still shaking his hand.

"Yes, seriously Sirius Black," he chuckled. She nodded, still in disbelief, and gently pulled her hand away.

"And there's Mr. Weasley," Sirius continued, gesturing to the man standing next to Professor Lupin. The man waved his hand in greeting, and Cassiopeia reciprocated with a smile.

"Your auntie sent an owl because it's not safe for you to stay there because of—"

"Voldemort," Cassiopeia finished Sirius's sentence confidently, causing their eyes to widen once more. She had uttered the Dark Lord's name without fear. "Before I was transported here, she referred to him as the Dark Lord, so I guessed."

She shrugged her shoulders, her wonder still evident on her face. The conversation took a different turn when Professor Lupin interjected.

"She looks like her mother, doesn't she, Sirius?"

"But her hair is from Regulus," Sirius remarked.

"By the way, come here. You can stay here as long as you like. This is the Black family's house. Would you like to see your father's room?"

Cassiopeia's face lit up with a sudden smile, grateful for the opportunity to get closer to her family's history before their untimely deaths.

"Why not? I'd love to," she responded.

"Come along," Sirius said as he led her out of the kitchen. Cassiopeia followed him, offering a smile to the others before they left.

The surroundings outside of the kitchen were dimmer, with mostly black decor. They ascended a staircase in silence until they reached a room where an elf suddenly appeared.

The elf appeared elderly, as evidenced by his wrinkled skin. He peered at Cassiopeia, his furrowed brows conveying a clear disapproval of her presence. Cassiopeia, however, felt it was essential to be kind to him. Although there had been several house elves in Malfoy Manor, she had never treated them with the disdain that was typical of the Malfoys. In her view, they were sentient beings deserving of respect for the services they provided.

"Hello," she greeted the elf with a genuine smile, waving her hand. The elf initially ignored her.

"Kreacher, don't be rude. She's your master's daughter," Sirius reprimanded the elf. Kreacher glanced at Cassiopeia with a disbelieving expression. His furrowed brows softened into a thin line, giving an apologetic look.

"Sorry, my mistress. I—"

"Hey, don't call me mistress," Cassiopeia interjected, tilting her head and bending down to meet the elf's eyes. He took a step back, appearing frustrated.

"Just call me Cassiopeia," she suggested. "Or Cassie," she added with a smile, extending her hand toward the elf. He looked at her and her hand in bewilderment. Cassiopeia nodded to encourage him to shake hands.

He cautiously took a step closer and extended his hand slowly. When their hands were just inches apart, he continued to stare at her, still uncertain. Cassiopeia took the initiative by gently grasping his small hand and offering a warm smile.

"Hello, Kreacher. I'm Cassiopeia Black,"she introduced herself, hoping to bridge the gap with the skeptical house elf.