Chapter 55

Yo ✌🏼

It is a cloudy day, Ruby and Team JNPR, followed by Est still sleeping on a cloud, follow a mossy stone tile path through the wilderness. While walking, Nora stretches her arms up wide.

"Another day, another adventure!"

Beside her, Jaune reads a map while Ruby, Ren, and Pyrrha continue alongside them.

"What's on the agenda today?" Ruby asks Jaune.

"Walking!"

"With a side of. . . ?"

"Walking," Ren says behind them. Ruby sighs as she looks at the sky.

"Haven is a lot farther away than I thought."

"Ruby? How long did you think this journey was going to take?" Pyrrha asks her as she walks along.

"I don't know! I grew up in a small area; I've never been this far away from home!"

"Right but. . . how long?"

"Maybe like, uh. . . two weeks?" Jaune looks up from the map at her.

"What?!"

"Okay, fine! Three or something!" She says, not making eye contact. "Look, whatever." 

She looks up again before noticing something ahead. "Hey, what's that?"

Nora jumps onto a slightly fallen post of a fence to get a closer look at a wall and building ahead.

"That's. . . strange." Jaune says as he checks the map. "I didn't think we'd be hitting another village for a few days."

"Are those buildings. . . damaged?" Nora says. Jaune looks up hurriedly.

"We should search for survivors!" He says as he drops the map, and all five go running into the village, with Nora leaping onto the wall and a rooftop from there. They discover the town to be empty. Ruby lifts a fallen plank of wood to find only plant outgrowth underneath.

"Anything?"

"Nothing over here!" Nora yells.

"No one over here, either!" Jaune yells.

"It almost seems like. . . the town was abandoned." Ren notes, Pyrrha nods. 

Ruby looks around, feeling unease in the wind. Nora's voice is then heard.

"Hey, I think I found something!" Ruby turns and rushes over. Nora, Jaune, Pyrrha and Ren are looking at a town sign. Nora moves the ivy growing over it to the side to read what it says.

"Oniyuri? Never heard of it."

"Me neither."

"I have." Ren says as he looks around, alert. The others look at him, surprise on their faces. "You might think of it as Anima's Mountain Glenn, had it never been completed. Years ago, the richest members of Mistral were unhappy with how the Kingdom was being run."

"Frustrated with the council, they pooled their resources together to build their own city, with their own laws. They hoped that one day, it could maybe even become its own Kingdom. Many thought it would be the future." Pyrrha confirms, also having heard of the story. Ren walks away from the others.

"I know my parents did."

"What happened?" Ruby asks. Ren brushes some dirt off of the stone border of a low wall to reveal claw marks.

"What always happens." Jaune clenches his fist at the sentence.

"The Grimm."

"Not just any, one." Ruby briefly faces Nora in confusion, but Nora doesn't move her concerned gaze away from Ren. Ruby turns back to him.