Chapter 40

Yo ✌🏼

Third Person POV

Back at the camp, the three members of RWBY lay on their sleeping bags as Yang starts up a conversation with Blake.

Yang: "I can't believe we didn't find anything. . ."

Blake: "We've always been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. I guess we can't always have luck on our side."

Weiss: "That's not what I meant."

Blake: "Huh?"

Weiss: "Earlier, about. . upholding the legacy. There's more to it than that."

Yang: "Yeah. . No, me too. I mean. . . I don't know."

Blake: "I don't know, either. I know what I want to do, but I figured I'd always take things one step at a time."

Yang: "Well, it doesn't matter. We know why we're here. Right?"

The girls merely stare in silence. The silence is interrupted by a familiar voice and two figures emerging from the darkness.

(Y/N): "Hey! You all got a fire started. Nice!"

Ruby: "Fire!" She comes towards the fire from behind (Y/N) and immediately sits next to the blaze alongside Zwei, who ran up to her as he spotted them.

Ruby: "So. . warm. . ."

They all sit in silence as the only sound that can be heard is from the fire. When multiple familiar distorted roars echo through the forest which are heard by (Y/N) but surprisingly not by the others. (Y/N) looks in the direction he heard the roars coming from with narrowed eyes. He turns towards the others with a serious face.

(Y/N): "Eat your dinners and hurry to bed. We have a lot of ground to cover tomorrow and we'll need you to take turns keeping watch over our temporary abode. Any volunteers for first watch?" Ruby lifts her arm while still looking at the fire.

Ruby: "Yo." (Y/N) nods at this, though he telepathically speaks to Winter.

(Y/N): 'Stay alert, dangerous creatures have inhabited this place.'

Winter: 'Are they the ones you told me to retreat from before?'

(Y/N): 'Yes, so keep your eyes and ears open. If they come here, you'll know. They're much stronger than common Grimm so don't expect an easy fight.'

Winter: 'Affirmative'

(Y/N) rushes off in to the direction of the roars, unnoticed by the others except Winter, and Ruby gets up to go over to her lookout point. As she passes Yang, her sister asks her a question.

Yang: "Hey, did (Y/N) ask you why you wanted to be a Huntress? I mean. . what did you tell him?" This startles Ruby as she remembered what (Y/N) had said before but she maintains her composure.

Ruby: "Hmm. . No, he didn't. Weird. Oh well! Good night, guys!"

Without a second carefree thought, she continues on her way.

Yang looks disappointed in the lack of an answer. Blake is similarly troubled as she unrolls her mat, Weiss tries lying down but fails to sleep, Yang half-heatedly eats her dinner of bread rolls. Soon, all three Huntresses are on their backs around the fire, weapons within easy access, wondering why they are there.

Ruby, meanwhile, is sitting in the vacant windowsill of the room as Zwei goes over to her upon hearing the howling of Beowolves. She pets her pooch on the back.