Chapter 32

Two weeks later

"I still can't believe the trouble you caused outside o' Rhodes," Helen chuckled. Sadie was placed as guard, and with nothing to do around camp, Helen kept her company.

Sadie chuckled, balancing her rifle on one shoulder; "I am a force to be reckoned with, Ms. Matthews - ain't nobody forgettin' that in a hurry," she said boldly. Helen bumped shoulders with her friend in agreement; "I ain't been out on a job in at least two weeks, and I'm tired o' doin' house chores to keep busy," she grumbled.

"I know! It's like they don't trust us!" Sadie yelled incredulously. Someone who understands! "Y'know what - let's go stir up some trouble! Maybe bring in our own money!" Helen gasped, jumping in place.

"Why the hell not?!" The two women hurried back into camp, and Helen hailed down Lenny. "You think you can replace Sadie on her guardin'?" she asked. The boy looked taken by surprise at her request, but they didn't wait for him to answer.

"You're a doll, Lenny!" The rifle was shoved into his hands before the two women raced over to Sadie's horse. "Where are you two heading off to?" They looked down at Charles when he called, and Helen flashed him an innocent smile. "Off to find some trouble, Charlie!" she said sweetly.

She didn't miss his look of confusion, but before he could question them, the horse raced off.

~~~~

"I ain't ever been to Strawberry before," Sadie mumbled. "Don't worry 'bout it, just pull up there at the stables," Helen said, pointing the way. The two women kept their heads down as they approached the stables. "Get your bandana, princess, I'm gonna raise a bit o' hell," Helen hissed with a grin.

"This'll be fun." The two masked women entered the stables, guns in hand. "G-good afternoon, ladies," the rancher greeted shakily. "Good afternoon, indeed! I'm Bessie, this here is my friend Daisy." Helen threw her arm around the rancher's shoulders, her revolver pressed into his side.

"We're in need o' some of your finest horses, and 'less you lookin' for another shootout - you're gonna give us them horses, friend." She pressed her revolver harder into his side, making the rancher swallow nervously. "O-of course."

~~~~

"You found a horse?" Helen walked up to Charles when she and Sadie returned to camp. The two women were arm and arm, their bandanas hung loosely around their necks.

"Stole a couple of them, actually - kept one and sold the other," she explained. He gave her a baffled look and looked ready to tell her off. "Oh boy, I'm gonna run," Sadie muttered, then scurried away.

Helen rolled her eyes, speaking first; "We didn't cause trouble anywhere near here, Charlie, give us a little more credit than that," she said with a frown. Charles sighed, his irritated expression quickly melting away.

"Just don't go looking for trouble you can't handle, spit fire." He lightly pinched her cheek and sent her a wink before walking off. The things that man does to me.