Chapter 45: Two is a Company

Credits to Pinterest for the header.
FICTION.
Disclaimer: All and fully disclaimed.
For ADN. 💚💚💚💚💚

*******ALDUBPARIN****************
Chapter 45: Two is a Company

She tried her best to look presentable despite the rumpled clothing that she changed into. Since she didn't have any elastics to hold her hair in a ponytail, she just settled with placing her hair behind her ears so that they wouldn't be going off in every direction. She smiled in the mirror, checking her teeth if she brushed them all right and finally, she breathed into her palm, assessing if all the traces of her morning breath were gone. When she was satisfied that was presentable enough, she made her way downstairs to meet her guests.

RJ followed her with his eyes as she passed by his door on her way to the stairs. He stood by his doorway, staring after her. His lips were drawn in a line, feeling a bit jealous that she took the time to look presentable for her guest and not for him.

'Don't be so stupid RJ, she thought it was an emergency! Do you really think she would have bothered with being presentable when she thought that her son was kidnapped again?' His conscience berated him.

'Fine, you're always right!' he answered back, his voice livid.

'Besides, she deserves a better proposal from you. After all that you put her through, you'll be lucky if she says yes,' it goaded.

'Will you quit it? I thought were supposed to be allies here?' he questioned.

'Yes, we are. Just being objective here! Heaven knows we need somebody level- headed to run the show,' his conscience gruffed.

RJ chose to ignore the barb. His conscience always disappears when he ignored it. How else could he have survived his numerous relationships if it continued nagging him like this? But he knew this time around, it wouldn't be as easy as tuning him out. He has made his intention of staying until he sees that ring on Maine's finger. RJ should better hurry up or else he might just go crazy with his conscience's constant nagging. Now where did he place the card for the flower shop?

~~Formal Living Room~~

Alex stood up as he heard the door handles turn, Maine smiled in greeting. He smiled back in return. She motioned for him to sit but being the gentleman, he waited until she was seated before resuming his seat.

Maine then motioned for butler Walter to bring them some refreshments and asked what he wanted. Alex declined and so the butler excused himself to get the young Madam her black coffee and was back a few minutes later with her steamy cup of joe.

Seeing that his job was done, the butler bowed to her and she dismissed him with a curt nod.

"Quite a lovely morning, isn't it? And how have you been?" she asked him as she took a sip of her cup.

"Yes it is. I'm fine thank you, and yourself?" Alex replied, looking at Maine regally sitting over the opposite sofa, Alex couldn't help but think that she was meant to be there. Even while she was dealing with RJ's butler, she was in her element as if she has been dealing with the household help all her life instead of just yesterday.

"I've been expecting you," Maine told him, breaking into his thoughts.

"Really?" he asked, a bit surprised that she knew that they were coming here, soon or later.

"Yes. You don't think I forgot about our deal?" she smiled knowingly, seeing that he thought precisely that.

Alex blushed at little a being caught.