On this bed (the light of future doesn't reach me)

AU: Midoriya has the worst diagnosis in his life. Now, how does he tell his best friend?

- > In this AU, Bakugou apologised a long time ago, and they've grown closer than even when they were kids.

As per request from @FluffyCloud2512 ,this will be reacted to by the MHA crew on my other work!

------

The ticking of the clock is the only sound in the room.

It's the only thing that's helping Izuku's heart beat properly.

Laying on the bed that he's been assigned to, the accustomed white sheets seem much more permanent than any other hospital bed he's slept in.

Tear tracks remain on the grenette's face, and dull, viridant eyes bore into the ceiling.

It wasn't supposed to be like this...it was never meant to be like this.

Sunlights flows into the room, the warmth not stopping Izuku from quivering. Birds gently chirp outside the window, a soft melody to a life that has no beat. A petal from the pink camellias drifts down onto the desk the vase is on- such beauty that will fade into dying grey over time.

'I'll fade away soon too.' Izuku thinks absentmindedly, tears already rising up again.

The door to his room slams open, and Katsuki rushes in, worry swarming in his eyes, and Izuku reluctantly sits up to look at his best friend, his brother.

"Deku.. W-what's happening?" Bakugou muttered, grasping Izuku's hand which was still quivering.

Izuku felt like he was drowning. In fear, in anger, in sadness...he didn't want to die like this. He didn't want to die at all!

Death was inevitable...he knew that. He had pretty much signed up for an early death when he chose to become a hero.

But...this...living his life to wait for his death..?

"I'm s-scared Kacchan." Izuku strangled out, voice hoarse from crying.

"Izuku... you can tell me you idiot- what's wrong?" Bakugou smiled, in hopes of cheering Izuku up a little.

No spark of amusement lit up in emerald eyes this time.

That instantly struck so, so wrong to Katsuki.

Izuku smiled in the end. Always.

"I'm gonna die Kacchan. The illness is terminal."

Katsuki's heart stuttered to a stop. No one heard the ticking of the clock, didn't hear the whistling of the birds, didn't feel the sunlight.

I'm going to die Kacchan

..going to die Kach..

...to die...

Izuku's going to die.

Before he realised what he was doing, Izuku was in Katsuki's arms, and Katsuki had wrapped his arms around the grenette.

Tears trickled down both of their cheeks, and the younger male had started bawling.

He didn't want to die.

He wasn't supposed to die like this, it was all so, so wrong.

He'd dreaded that when he did die...that it'd most likely be in a battlefield. Fighting for his life, for his friend's lives, for innocent citizens.

He'd die in order to save someone.

Now his days are numbered and every day he's breathing is just one day closer to the due date.

What kind of twisted life is that?

Izuku turns around to look at the window, and the sky is a brilliant blue, stretching wide and far, endless and limitless.

Shouldn't every future be like that?

Time is only a record, a mark on an endless road.

Then why...why is time racing out of his hands, something for him to chase?

It's only supposed to end when he wants it to end.

"W-what's the point of l-living anymore if I'm waiting to die, ha Kacchan?"

"No. You have to live. Because.."

Kacchan, can you and Mr Deku play with me today?

You and Problem Child are getting a lot better working together- good.

Bakugou, please help us plan a birthday party for Deku-kun!

Young Bakugou, you help Young Midoriya reach the higher in him, beyond his Plus Ultra.

Katsuki-kun, please, remind my baby to look after himself.

"You're not dead yet are you 'zuku? You are a hero. You still have people to save. What is your goal, hah?!" Bakugou poked his childhood friend's cheek, earning a little pout, but viridant eyes furrowed in determination anyways.

"I...want to save people. I want to...I want to-!"

"and that's how I became the Number One hero!" The silence was accompanied by a strangled cry as the voice-note ended. The sound of clicking was heard, before another message played out.

-------

A/N: Oof, this prompt was a little strong. As some of my readers know, most of my shots like to end on a positive note, but damn, this one....oof.

Sorry for the slightly short chapter, and the few weeks of no chaps-

Half-term is in a few days, so plenty chapters coming soon!

So little bit of context: Midoriya was diagnosed with a terminal illness, and this is how he tells Bakugou. At the end, Izuku left Katsuki some voice notes, and Katsuki is listening to them after Izuku has died...anyways hope you guys enjoyed and have a Plus Ultra day/night!

Also join my new server! https://discord.gg/3heCzwrh