[forty]

I knew I was going to help her with this before I even composed the thought.

I had the apology and the answers I really wanted all along and that feeling of needing to help her slowly warmed up again. I figured it would help ease that burn knowing that she was at least more in control of herself if I helped hide her medicine.

I shove the envelope and the picture into the folder along with the rest of my project and safely place it in the drawer. I let out a deep breath and stare at the shade covered window that faces Jo's and a small montage of moments flash before my eyes only to stop at the last decent moment I had with her. And I realize: that's it. There's nothing left for me to try and figure out or think on. It was done and over with because at least she knew she wasn't fooling me.

The letter didn't make me fall madly in love with her, or push everything off the counter to make room for her pedestal. The letter gave me closure.

She might not have meant what she said or did but I knew this letter wasn't going to erase that. The letter just made me see that that chapter was done. I had girlfriend who was more than I could ask for because she was also my friend, along with Louis..my two real friends. They didn't question who I was. They only helped me grow and become the me I wanted to be because that's just what they did. They, along with Zayn,were the reason I was about to finish this project and keep moving forward.

I wasn't going to go backwards because of this letter..because of Jo.

I grab ahold of the box I carelessly threw around downstairs and I tear off the tape holding it shut. Another note, folded, with my name on it, lays on top of several sealed packs of labeled medicine, all with Jo's name on them. I grab the note, before using my other hand to rummage around the box. I see several labels of medication I've never even heard of. The words maniac, depression, lithium pass my eyes when I hear a knock at the door making me grab the box in a hurry.

"How many am I cooking dinner for tonight?" My mother calls from the other side of the door.

"Just us tonight," I call back, grabbing the box. I know leaving it out in the open isn't a good idea so I shove it in my closet next to my shoe boxes hoping my mom doesn't decide I need to clean anything out from here before I go school clothes shopping.

I shut the closet door and unfold the note that reads:

-harry
thank you. i really appreciate you doing this for me.its a big risk and im really just..i can't think of another word to describe how appreciative i feel. i appreciate this!

i this is just a favor.ill make it clear that i fully understand that this doesn't mean that you've forgiven me or want anything to do with me.when i come back for good(the week before school) ill have my phone again.you can let me know via text that i can come by and get my meds. if this doesn't work or is asking too much, we can change it of course.whatever works best for you.

thanks a lot.
-jo

I guess she knew I'd say yes. I was also glad she knew that I wasn't about to drop everything for her. She was clearly a different person now, as am I. It wouldn't make sense to do anything else but go on with our lives.

It just be a favor, nothing more.

I didn't see Annette till Saturday.

She came back from San Diego Wednesday night a little more buckled down and spent most of her time doing homework and packing for next week. I even bugged Louis to hang out with me even though it was usually the other way around. I mostly got pictures of things in better angles now that I wasn't in a wheel chair. Louis kinda watched me before pacing around in the opposite direction, kinda talked about the trip, and kinda made me feel forgotten when he'd send Annette text messages and actually received replies.