Chapter Thirty-One: Desperation

Y/n remained silent for the rest of the night. Something Chaewon picked up on. Frequently throughout dinner, the radish girl found herself frequently glancing at her superior with a worried expression on her face.

Is he still bothered about his confliction earlier?

After dinner, Chaewon stood in front of her bathroom mirror, brushing her teeth.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him to talk to me about it. Talking to his dad about it didn't appear to help at all. It looked like it made things worse... Will asking him about it do anything? I guess I can just say I'm here for him if he needs anything.

Chaewon prepared herself as she stood in front of Y/n's door.

I can do this.

The radish maid opened Y/n's door, peeking inside to see him laying on his bed.

Okay.

Chaewon approached Y/n's bed, sliding in. To her surprise, Y/n appeared to be asleep. Slightly dejected, she opted to go to sleep instead so as to not bother the older boy. While drifting off to sleep, Chaewon felt a shift on the bed, opening her eyes to see Y/n facing her.

"Chaewon, can you sleep in your room from now on?"

Chaewon's heart sank. Why was she asking him that? Was he now uncomfortable? He had a girlfriend so it made sense that Y/n wouldn't want her sleeping in his bed anymore, but why now? Did she do something wrong? Did he find out about what she did before?

"Mr. Kim..."

"I'm sorry, I really need to be alone right now."

"Does it have to do with your problem earlier?"

Y/n remained silent.

"If it is, then I can help you! I promise I can help you!! I've been through a lot, so I can provide you some assistance. Even if I don't know what you're talking about, I can provide support for you!"

"It's not something I can talk to you about."

"Why? You were fine mentioning it not too long ago, so why do you want to keep it from me now? Are you scared I might get hurt?"

"I'm scared you'll see me differently."

"I'm already seeing you differently, I just want to be there for you!"

Y/n's breath hitched.

She sees me differently right now? What does she mean by that?

Y/n stared at Chaewon in the dim room. The two parties dilated pupils locked onto one another. Desperation bled from Chaewon's gaze.

"Why are you even so worried about me? I did bad things to you."

"But you didn't mean it, I know you didn't! I've learned what kind of person you are! So please, before I have to watch you spiral downwards, please let me help you!! At least let me support you..."

From outside Y/n's door, Mr. Kim leaned against the wall.

I see.

Chaewon clung to Y/n's body. Tears dropped from her eyes, embedding themselves into Y/n's shirt.

"I've already watched one person I care about go downhill. I don't want to watch another."

Y/n remained silent. Chaewon's plead clearly got to him, but he didn't know how to feel. Doubt filled his mind as he wondered if Chaewon would still feel the same about him if he told her what was going on in his head. Helplessness filled Y/n's mind as his mind wandered from person to person, thinking about what would happen if he told each person he was close to.  His father served no help, Jimin wasn't an option, as well as Wooyeon and Minju. Chaeyoung would help, but his plights would reach Jimin which he cannot afford to happen.