Chapter Thirty-Eight: Intrusive Thoughts

"Eh?!"

"That was the thing that weighed on me earlier. It's horrible but while I was dating Minju, I didn't feel like she was the one, and that you were."

Chaewon's silhouette retreated into the bed. Y/n could tell she was conflicted—or confused. Whatever it was, it caused Chaewon to remain silent. The silence scared Y/n. In the few moments both parties remained quiet, Y/n's blood froze as his heart dropped to his stomach.

Should I have not said that?!

Y/n panicked, opening his mouth, yet his words appeared to stick to his mouth--a blessing in disguise.

"What made you feel this way?"

Y/n felt his throat clear up, allowing access to his words.

"I don't know. I kind of just felt an attraction to you."

"What about Minju? Did you not like her?"

Y/n nervously scratched his head, "I thought about it once, and I don't think I actually liked her. I think I just felt a strong sense of attachment to her."

Chaewon furrowed her eyebrows, "A strong sense of attachment?"

"Yeah."

"That's not something I expected you to conclude."

"Oh, well it just makes sense to me. It started after the incident I had with you when she was there comforting me while I was going through my rough mental state. I don't think I liked her, I think I just wanted to be by her side."

"Oh. Like an addiction?"

"Uh.. Yeah."

"I see."

Y/n pursed his lips. Chaewon hadn't moved an inch from her spot, nullifying his hopes that he had gotten his reasoning across to the radish girl.

"Why me though?"

Y/n pursed his lips, "I'm not sure. I just thought that you were like a refreshing addition to my life. Maybe the sleeping next to each other thing added to that, but you make my day easier if that makes sense?"

"How do you know this isn't the same feeling as the one you had with Minju?"

"Because this one was more gradual."

"Are you sure?"

"I think so."

Y/n felt the same dry air fill the space between him and Chaewon, only adding to his tense feeling.

"What are you trying to get from this confession?"

Y/n shrugged, "I don't know, I was hoping I could at least get this off my chest."

"Nothing else?"

"Uh... I can't think of anything else I'd want from this. I wanted to tell you when you were asking me what was wrong, but for obvious reasons I couldn't."

"I see."

Y/n watched Chaewon lay down, bringing a wave of disappointment. He didn't expect things to be normal this night, but the hope was still there.

"I'll be heading off to bed then. Sleep well, Mr. Kim."

"Sleep well, Chaewon."

Y/n bit his lip as he went to sleep as well.

That did not go well...

The next day, Y/n awoke with Chaewon gone. Assuming she left to get ready for school, Y/n walked into his bathroom, performing his morning routine before walking downstairs where Chaewon could be spotted patiently sitting in her chair.