Chapter Eighteen: Old Friends

"I want to you be one-hundred percent truthful with me." Chaewon stared deep into Jinsang's eyes. Her hair dropped from her shoulders as she leaned forward and over his dining table. "Do you still like me?"

Jinsang let off a low chortle, "How could I not? After you disappeared, I moved on. But now that you're right in front of me, and much older, I can't help myself."

Chaewon watched Jinsang's animated gestures from his initial shrug to the simple waving motions, to a gentle gesture toward herself. She sighed, relaxing into her chair.

"I see."

"It feels nice finally getting that confession off my chest," Jinsang commented.

"Off your chest? The whole school knew you liked me," Chaewon teased.

Jinsang cringed, burying his face into his hands, "Yeah! But..." He straightened his posture, letting off a soft breath with a smile, "It feels nice being able to actually say it."

Chaewon flicked her hair backward, flaring it like a child with a cape, "How do you like my new style?"

Jinsang hummed, pinching his chin. "I liked your long hair better; black felt like a better color on you too. But... You look a lot more mature now. I bet you've had guys flocking to your side."

"Not really." Chaewon leaned forward, resting her chin atop her arms, "In high school, I had this guy who deterred any potential suitors. Now I've mostly been keeping to myself."

"Really? It's been weeks since the semester started. You should try to put yourself out there!"

"I mean, I have a friend group," Chaewon added. "I just haven't found any potential guys. I met someone at a party who seemed to be fun; turns out he had a girlfriend already."

"No potential guys?" Jinsang questioned. "From the start of the semester to now, you haven't seen or talked to any guys that are cute or have a good personality?"

Chaewon sat up, cupping her cheek in palm. She stared intensely into Jinsang's eyes with a soft, endearing smile. "Now that I think about it, I've met one."

Jinsang's eyes widened, "One?"

"Eung. I've known him for a while now—since high school actually. He's really fun to be around, knows how to make me smile, and seems to be everywhere I look. He's a total idiot, but that's part of his charm."

The man's heart raced. He fought to suppress his smile, pinching his leg under the table to not show his hand.

Is she talking about me?!

"Would you ask him out if you got the chance?"

"Pfft." Chaewon scoffed, "Of course not. He and I wouldn't work as a couple. Especially not after what happened recently."

"Recently?"

Chaewon waved her free hand dismissively, "It's stuff I'd rather not talk about."

"Ah..." Jinsang cleared his throat, "How about you join a club?"

"Club?" Chaewon trailed, "I don't think there are any that I'm interested in."

Jinsang beamed a bright smile, "You can join my club then. We play a tabletop game there and take our minds off the real world."

Chaewon pinched her chin, "What's the game called?"

"Dungeons and Dragons."

The radish racked her brain for the word, scratching the back of her head.

Sounds like something Jimin would play... Maybe that whole group.

"It's a role playing game where you can do practically anything—within reason," Jinsang continued.