Chapter Thirty: A Returning Face

Despite Chaewon's initial reluctance, allowing Minjeong to live alongside herself and Y/n proved to be more helpful than not. She took most of the workload off of Chaewon's shoulders, and didn't make any moves on Y/n like she said she would.

The freedom of winter break never failed to bring Chaewon some form of happiness. Lazing around the dorm, only tending to minor chores for sixty-five thousand won a week made her past worth it.

Chaewon nuzzled her nose against Y/n's neck. The pair unwound after a heavy dinner in the dark with nothing but their thoughts to accompany them. The heater whirred above them, warming their faces while they held one another closely. Beside the bedroom door, two small suitcases sat neatly in anticipation for their trip.

The maid peppered her master's neck with kisses, earning soft grunts. In return, Y/n pecked her forehead. An overwhelming flourish of love bloomed in Y/n while he bear hugged the radish. He rocked back and forth, softening while she groaned and croaked on tempo. Before he could progress further with his lovebomb, Y/n's phone rang. It buzzed and buzzed, bringing a pause to the scene.

Y/n silenced the call. He turned back to Chaewon, but the phone rang once more. To both parties' surprise, the call was not a random number, but rather Minju.

Y/n held his phone to his ear, "Hello?"

"Y/n! Thank god you picked up. Can I stay with you for a little bit?"

"What?" Y/n sat up, causing Chaewon to do the same, "Are you in danger? What's going on??"

"I'll explain later. Do you still live with your parents?"

"I moved across the city-" Y/n ran his hand over his face, "Where are you right now?"

"I'm outside your house."

Y/n rubbed his eyes. He set his phone to speaker before pulling up his messages. "I texted one of the maids there. Just knock and they'll let you in."

"Okay."

"How convenient," Chaewon remarked.

Y/n nodded, "Shall we get the gang together?"

Minju knocked on the Kim mansion door. She shivered, counting the seconds with her breaths. As the door clicked, Minju met the eyes of a familiar face.

"Gaeul?!" Minju gasped. "You're a maid here?"

Gaeul smiled gently, "Long time no see."

Minju nodded energetically while she stepped inside. Almost immediately, the house's warm atmosphere greeted her like an old friend. Maids and butlers in passing waved tenderly toward the fox.

"You've gotten prettier since I last saw you," Gaeul commented. "I bet Mr. Kim will regret losing you when he gets here."

Minju's eyes widened. She pointed to the ground, "He's coming here?"

"Eung. He and Chaewon planned to return tomorrow morning for winter break," Gaeul explained.

"Wow... Talk about timing."

Following a hearty meal and a warm shower, Minju threw herself onto Y/n's fresh bed sheets. Memories and emotions came flooding from the past, bringing a soft smile to the fox's face.

"I'm home, Y/n."

Y/n opened his front door, flinching as Yuri pounced on top of him.

"Welcome back!!!"

Behind her, Jimin, Wooyeon, Chaeyoung, and Minju waved with wide smiles. Y/n waddled into the house, rubbing Yuri's head as she hummed happily.

"I'm glad you all could make it," Y/n smiled back.

"It's been a while. How could we not?" Chaeyoung chuckled.

Minju raised an eyebrow. She approached Y/n with a grin, "Wow. You've grown a lot since I last saw you."

"And you've changed your style. You're a lot more... mature," Y/n replied.

"Do I make your heart flutter?" the fox giggled.

Chaewon cleared her throat, stopping the other two before setting their suitcases near the door. She pulled Y/n into his room, closing the door softly.

"I better not see anything happen between you two," Chaewon whispered.

Y/n threw his hands up defensively, "Nothing will happen. I promise."

"I don't trust you near her," Chaewon squinted. "I'll be watching you closely."

"Okay, okay."

Downstairs, the group gathered around the Kim dining table. Mr. and Mrs. Kim happily chatted with Y/n while the guests talked amongst themselves. In the midst of the amicable atmosphere, a disgruntled radish maid picked at her food silently. Despite her best efforts, Y/n found himself sandwiched between Yuri and Minju. Instead of taking a seat beside either of the two, she sat across from Y/n with a mopey frown.

"Oppa! How's college?" Yuri beamed. Her eyes glistened with an unkempt excitement. "Have you made new friends?"

Y/n swayed his head, "A few here and there--three of them." 

"Am I not one of them?" Gaeul frowned.

"Four," Y/n corrected. "I met this tiny girl who you're taller than, and a really tall guy."

"How tall is she?" Yuri asked.

"Dunno. I'll have to ask her for you."

Yuri turned in her seat. She gave Y/n all of her attention, while Minju watched the two with an endearing smile. Over the course of breakfast, the group took turns detailing their experiences apart.

When it came time for Minju to share, Chaewon instead eyed Y/n. His eyes rounded with curiosity, and the corners of his mouth rose when she smiled. He laughed far more than he ever did around Chaewon, and seemed more excited.

"Oh! Y/n oppa, have you found anyone yet?" Yuri asked.

The table grew quiet. All eyes turned to him, except Chaewon's. Y/n glanced toward the radish, scratching his head.

"Uh... There's someone I'm interested in," Y/n replied nervously.

"Oh?" Gaeul grinned, "Who?"

Y/n glared daggers into the former maid, "That's a secret."

"Come on! We're not in high school anymore!!" Wooyeon groaned. "Most of us are adults now. You can share."

"Or is it someone at the table~" Chaeyoung cooed.

Y/n glanced toward his parents with pleading eyes. Following a light chuckle, Mr. Kim waved his hand dismissively.

"Alright, alright. Let's stop pressing him for details. I'm sure he has his reasons for not sharing."

Yuri leaned in, cupping her hand around Y/n's ear, "I know it's Chaewon unnie. Don't worry~"

She giggled as she pulled away. After breakfast, and a lot of insisting, Y/n and Minju stood next to each other at the sink. They scrubbed dishes, occasionally stealing glances from one another.

"So... How are you and Chaewon?"