Chapter Fifteen: Replacement

A pit grew in Chaewon's stomach. Gaeul cupped her hands in front of her legs, and she straightened her back—a posture that mimicked Chaewon's own.

Looks like she got the job.

Before, the two students appeared to be the same height. Chaewon knew she was shorter, but the difference in their posture made up for the slight discrepancy between their height.

Though she couldn't pinpoint why she obsessed over it, the single centimeter difference between the two stood out as one of her few insecurities.

With Gaeul around, he won't need me. She's reliable enough.

"Chaewon?!"

Behind the radish, a stunned student cupped his mouth. He pointed toward her with wide eyes, stepping back before enclosing in on her face.

"It really is you... I thought you went missing."

"Ah." Chaewon scratched her head, "I did, but a family took me in. Did word spread about me?"

"Everyone knew!!" the young man exclaimed. "I only knew everyone knew because they wouldn't stop bothering me about it."

"Sorry about that..."

Jinsang smiled softly. He stepped back once more with his hands in his pockets. His scarf fluttered in the crisp breeze, drawing Chaewon's attention to his warm eyes.

"You look as beautiful as ever."

Chaewon pursed her lips, "Th-Thanks..."

"Are you free?" he asked. "I want to catch up; it's been too long."

Reluctantly, Chaewon glanced over her shoulder, eyeing her master. She shook her head with a a silent sigh, "I'm free right now. Where do you want to go?"

Jinsang scratched his head, "My dorm? We can go to a cafe if you're uncomfortable with that."

"Your dorm sounds nice."

Gaeul raised an eyebrow, "Is that Chaewon ahead?"

Y/n's eyes shifted from Minjeong's hold, landing on the radish's unmistakable hair. Coupled with her familiar figure he could spot in a crowd, Y/n confirmed his maid stood just a brisk jog away from them.

"That's her?" Minjeong asked. "Who's the guy? She looks really happy talking to him."

"Don't know," Y/n replied. "Don't care."

"You don't? If I didn't know better, which I don't, I'd think those two are dating," she continued.

Gaeul glared daggers into the opposing student, mouthing for her to stop.

They're just walking next to each other. I hope Y/n doesn't overthink.

"She didn't mention any guys in her past, so he's probably a classmate she met this year," Y/n explained. As he walked toward the dorms, Y/n kept his eyes on the duo.

They're going to the normal dorms?

Gaeul observed Y/n's gaze, sighing. Guilt build in her chest and weighed in her head.

What did those two do in their down time? Maybe I can- What am I saying? Who I am I to think of replacing her... I don't deserve it.

She called back to Kwangsun's coarse words: 'Just tell yourself you're not here for him; you're there for yourself.'

The best I can do is keep him company.

While Chaewon entered a separate building, Y/n reluctantly walked through the door Gaeul held open with Winter trailing behind.

"Chaewon left?" Kwangsun trailed. "How long ago?"

Daeun checked her phone, humming, "A couple hours."

She strummed the threads of her black and white striped sweater. With a big smile, she held the collar to her nose, taking in the scent woven into it. The sleeves loosely wrapped around her arms, stopping just below the tips of Daeun's fingers.

Each fiber oozed the love and care the Kwangsun put into knitting the sweater. Small, equally spaced, hexagonal holes revealed glimpses of Daeun's skin, and the hem of the shirt stopped mid-thigh.

Despite his grievances with the attempt—the disproportionately large collar that always hung off one shoulder, the large holes that showed more skin that he would like, and the short length that he'd rather have stop at the bottom of her thighs—Daeun insisted it was perfect.

Similarly to the rest of Kwangsun's gifts, as well as a majority of their belongings, the sweater costed less than a single meal. Yet, Daeun treasured it more than a designer brand.

As she swirled her tiny hand sausages in between the sweater's many gaps, an epiphany struck Daeun. She searched her memory for anything cheap Chaewon owned. School supplies, clothes, anything.

Everything she owns is expensive, but doesn't cost any time to get...

Daeun stood on her feet, grabbing Kwangsun's attention. He watched her emerge from the bathroom in a white sweatshirt, loose pants, and a baby blue sweater-vest. With a raised eyebrow, he tracked her movements to the door before turning his head back upon her departure.

I guess she's cooking something up.

Gaeul wiped Y/n's black marble countertop with dull eyes, tracing her circular movements without a thought. The monotonous task pulled her from one end to the other until the door bell rang. She sprang up, straightening her posture.

"I'll get it!" she shouted.

Without checking the peep-hole, Gaeul twisted the knob, revealing Daeun all by her lonesome.

"Is Y/n home?" the small student asked.

Gaeul stuck her head into the hallway, searching for Daeun's amicable chaperone, "U-Uh... yeah. Where's Kwangsun?"

"Home," Daeun replied. "I want to talk to Y/n."

"Okay... Come in, I'll get him."

"It will be quick. I just need a few words," Daeun interrupted.

Gaeul scanned Daeun's outfit, nodding before disappearing behind the door. Moments later, Y/n emerged. His eyes jumped to the soft color palette and theme of Daeun's clothes, bringing a warm, fuzzy feeling in his heart—as if she were an endearing younger sister or underclassman.

"You wanted to say something?" Y/n asked.

"Chaewon would appreciate time over money; it's more expensive."

Without another word, Daeun walked away, leaving Y/n scratching his head. The mentioning of his maid summoned the weight in his heart, but he couldn't help feeling curious. What sparked the silent student to say that? Did he do something wrong after the fact? Does she know something? Why did she come alone?