The Unexpected

It was with trepidation that Ant and Dec entered the room, wondering how they could ever convince Tony to meet the NYPD sketch artist Richard had mentioned.

Dec's heart clenches inside his chest as he saw the little boy on the bed, surrounded by various landscapes Ant has drawn for him to practice. 

Tony: "Deccey! I did like Anth has taught me! How is it?!"

Dec inspects the partially completed sketch and smiles sincerely: "They are beautiful"

Both Ant and Dec sit beside Tony on the bed to examine the sketches all the while wondering how to discuss with Tony, what Richard has asked them to. 

Finally, it was Ant who started the conversation.

Ant: "Tony.. have you tried people's faces...maybe, like.. your mam?"

Tony frowns at that "Mom's face?"

Ant nods catching an obvious hesitation in the boy's eyes. They watch as he gingerly pulled out an unfinished outline of a woman from the heaps of sheets on the bed and slowly extended it to Ant.

Tony: "It is bad," he says disappointed

Ant: "No, it's not. It's just incomplete"

Tony: "Can you complete it?"

Ant finds this as the perfect opportunity "You know what, how about we go and see-"

Tony... I was wondering... maybe we can meet-"

Suddenly Dec's hand tightens around his arm, stopping him.

Dec: "Of course, Anth can do that"

A bright smile forms on Tony's face while Ant turned to Dec concerned as if to say 'I don't know whether I can...'

Dec just smiles at him reassuringly 'I know you can'

With Dec's assurance, Ant takes the unfinished outline and tries to reproduce the face, occasionally consulting Tony:

"Is this how her eyes are?"

"What about her smile?"

"Did her jaw look like this?"

Dec watched as Ant's fingers followed the instructions Tony was giving him and was as usual marveled by the image slowly forming under his husband's pencil tip.

A few minutes later, Ant blows off the eraser bits on the drawing sheet and extends the finished portrait towards Tony: "Is this her?"

The joy and disbelief etched on Tony's face were immense as he took the sheet from Ant and examined it with reverence "Mom..."

Tears sting Dec's eyes as he took the paper from Tony. The woman that looked back at him seemed to be in her late 20s, oval-shaped, long-jawed, with hooded eyes and full lips.

Nancy... this is Nancy...

Ant: "I will send this to Richard..." he says after a moment, earning Tony's attention.

Tony: "Is that the cop uncle who came today?"

Ant feels stupid for spilling it out and he turns to an equally flustered Dec for help.

Tony:  "Will he... will he help look for my mom?"

Dec felt his jaw dropping at that while Ant smiled in admiration "He is. You don't mind us sending this to him, do you?"

Tony shakes his head at that before asking: "Can I keep it?"

Ant passes the picture with a smile "Of course, it's yours"