Take on the World

Long chapter to make up for the delay; Song given in "Take on the World" by You Me at Six

*Trigger Alert*

----------------------

Two days pass like that with Ant buried in his work commitments and Dec busy either introducing new things to Tony or catching up with his family and friends. The investigation is still going on but the cops have allowed a few of them to go out of the states if necessary. Holly, Dannie, Gary, Pat, and Dermott decide to return home and only fly in if they are required. Alph, Anne, and Martin decide to stay until the trial is over as they can provide a first-hand account about the Parslovs and so does Andrew much to Dec's resentment.

He wanted Andrew gone. It isn't because he is angry at him or hates him. But he loves Ant more. And every time he sees Andrew, he is reminded of how he has lied to Ant more than once and how he has let him down again and again.

He couldn't bring himself to talk to Ant about anything not only because of Ant's busy schedule but also because as days go by, Dec could feel his strength leaving him. He has been receding to himself and to be honest, most of the time he wants to just hide away and disappear.

The only thing that now makes him feel free and in control of his emotions is when he feels the sharp razor on his skin but that too for a few minutes only. Then his mind gets filled with disgust and self-hate which further pulls him away from his overprotective husband who will be devastated if he ever gets go know what Dec is doing behind his back.

He deserved better

That thought was still very much inside his head when he woke up in the midnight before the day his sister and brother have decided to leave for home.

Dec hums and reaches out to the other side of the bed only to feel the empty sheets. He flutters his sleepy eyes open and his heart warms to see Tony cuddled to his chest with a sweet smile on his lips. He sits up carefully, not wanting to wake Tony up but it wasn't necessary as after all the excitement he went through the previous day, the little boy is now dead to the world around him.

Within a few hours of being there, Tony has become a favorite for everyone. Even if they don't know what will happen to that boy or whether they will ever see him again once the trial is over, they loved petting and spoiling the lad who was both excited and gratefully amidst the family he never thought he will have.

Dec was really happy to have Tony with them as there are moments when he would feel like he is weak and worthless and Tony's presence will remind him of his strength, his patience and his endurance. For that and for all the times Tony has helped and rescued him, Dec will forever be grateful to the little boy.

Dec switches their bedside lamp on and his heart tugs to realize that Ant is still inside Si's office. They didn't talk much during the dinner and Ant had asked him to tuck Tony in while he checked a few files before joining them.

He has lovingly placed his lips on Dec's forehead for a good night kiss before his ever ringing phone has interrupted them. Now it's two in the morning and Dec felt furious at himself for not checking on Ant before.

Why do I always fail to take care of him?!  For once why can't I be damn responsible as a husband?!

He stretches Ant's hoodie to his knees and adjusts his pajama shorts before walking through the dimly lit halls to the office room. He pushes the door open and the sight that greeted him made his heart melt.

Ant was lying on the sofa fast asleep, two files sprawled on his chest and a few on the coffee table beside him. Dec walks to him and takes all the files to arrange them on the table and then closes the files on Ant's chest to keep them aside.