Cuddly Bear

Simon stood at the door as the doctor fixed an IV to inject fluids through Ant's vein, various machines for checking his vitals  fixed to him.

His mind takes him back to a similar day, years ago when they had brought Ant from the Kaiser's Inn after Kieron and Parry  picked fights with him using Dec as a pawn.

The day when Simon has realised important Dec is to Ant...the day when he realised how much Ant has grown up and how important it is to let him go...

Past (excerpts from Unconditional):

Simon was standing leaning to Ant's door when Robbie found him a few minutes after their dinner

Robbie: "Was searching for you. Those two fell asleep on the couch"

Simon: "Was a rough night"

Robbie stands beside Simon and they both looks at Ant who is sleeping on his side, his face is relaxed under the duvet with a small smile playing on his lips

Robbie: "Good to see him asleep. God, to think about the fright this guy gave us today!"

Simon: "He seems so relaxed. Hope he feels well tomorrow"

Robbie: "He will be fine...right Si? The doctor said that the wound is small. He will be alright?"

Simon: "Do you think I will let anything happen to any of you? He will be"

Robbie: "You always protect us.. I know you won't let anything touch us"

Simon sighs : "I promised myself long ago that I will never let anyone hurt the four of you"

Robbie hears disappointment in his voice and he puts an arm around Simon "It's not your fault Si. He has always been a rebel. Stubborn and confident..."

Simon smiles affectionately at that "Isn't he?"

Robbie: "Maybe that's why we love him so much..."

Simon: "I am worried about him. He is growing up"

Robbie laughs at that "I remember how you used to watch him sleep during school days. You used to stand like this to make sure he sleeps"

Simon: "He used to have trouble with sleeping. I wanted him to stay with one of us. But forever a stubborn. Used to give us proper frights...even as a kid.."

Robbie: "Remember what he did during his last year at school? Jumped the wall to escape from the guards and broke his hand?"

Simon: "That was horrible... Idiot. He only had to ask me"

Robbie: "He will keep on giving us these little frights, Si...  "

Simon: "I love this bugger so much Rob...
I don't think I worry about anything else like I worry about him"

Robbie: "He knows that. And he knows how to use it against all of us. I will do anything for him Si.."

Simon: "I don't know how to keep him safe"

Robbie: "Maybe we should learn to let him go. He is not the silent, frightened little boy whom we took under our wings. As you said, he is growing up"