Once the Storm has Passed

It's been fifteen minutes since Dec went upstairs to check on Tony and Ant felt disappointment seeping in.

He doesn't want to talk to me...how will I make him see that I am there for him, that we can get through everything together...

He still remembers Nick's name coming from Dec's lips and not only did it shock Ant to the core but has also burdened him with an immense feeling of guilt.

Dec is still reeling from what all happened...of course, he is...how long will he escape my questions...how long will he push me away...I cannot let him do that. I will not let him do that..

He stands up from the sofa and takes the stairs knowing so well that Dec will not come to him willingly. He enters the room and smiles seeing the now familiar sight of Tony asleep on their bed. He looks around confused as he couldn't find Dec and searches the balcony and corridor. Then only did he see that their en suite is locked from inside and knocks on the door to make sure Dec is indeed in there.

Ant: "Dec, you in there?"

He frowns as he doesn't get any response and tries the handle but in vain.

Ant: "Baby, can you hear me? Deccey you in there?"

His frown deepens as he is met with silence and he once again tries to call Dec, careful not to wake up the boy sleeping only a few feet away from him.

Ant: "Baby, answer me! Deccey!"

Ant once again tries the handle and slowly fear dawns on him.

Ant: "Deccey, can you hear me? Baby it's okay if you need time but please open the door? Deccey you are frightening me, man! I will break in okay... I swear I will! Declan!!"

His heart stammers wildly in his chest as he inspects the door and then sees it... on the floor, at the narrow gap between the door and the costly marble tiles...a thin streak of red blood...

No!!!

He pushes and pounds the door in urgency and finally helplessness causes him to force himself on the door, breaking the bolt and entering forcefully inside.

The sight that welcomed him took all the air out of his lungs and had to lean on the door to balance himself.

Dec was lying on the floor, his eyes closed and lips parted, blood trickling out of his outstretched wrist to drip on the white, pristine tiles and pool around him

Ant: "D-ec!!!"

He pushes himself to move and then stumble on the floor beside Dec, pulling him to his lap and calling him awake.

Ant: "Deccey, baby can you hear me?! Dec!!"

Tears of panic and grief well up inside his eyes and he hastily takes the tissue roll to clean the blood and stop the blood flow. As he held the delicate wrist of his husband, nausea threatens him.

Not only because of the life-threatening gash on the pale skin but also the series of long and short cuts that adorned his skin, some deep enough to leave a scar for weeks.

Ant gulps down the terror that caused him and pats Dec's cheek to wake him up. But the unresponsive figure of the smaller man sends his brain into a frenzy, bitter thoughts invading his mind.

Ant: "Baby, open your eyes. Don't do this to me Delan! Stay with me...oh God...hold on Deccey, stay with me! You cannot do this to me, please stay with me!"

Helpless sobs burst out of Ant's chest who tries to stop himself from shouting out, concerned about the sleeping boy just a wall apart from them.

He wipes his tears and takes a hand towel to wrap it around Dec's wound and swiftly stands with Dec in his arms - bridal-style- and rushes out of the room. Once he is out of the room though, all his caution leaves him and suddenly he finds himself shouting: