Thirty One

(Trigger warning SA)

Sujin squeezed your fingers in hers and you both followed the prison guard down a long corridor. You tried to focus on the chipped paint at the baseboards and scuff marks along the walls instead of the pounding anxiety making your rib cage ache. He led you into a room nearly at the end the bright fluorescent lights buzzing overheard.

"Go ahead and sit we'll bring Joohyunssi in shortly." He gestured toward two metal chairs with white plastic seats yellowing with age and retreated back down the hall.

For a moment you thought he'd mixed up the prisoner you were here to see until your brain caught up. It made sense that she'd be stripped of her stage name, even if everyone had called her Irene outside of performing for years.

The chairs were in front of a steel table with another chair on the other side. All four pieces were bolted to the floor. You weren't sure what you expected, maybe a partition with glass? Sticky black phone receivers to communicate like on American crime dramas?

"Be brave Y/N, both you and Jimin are letting this bitch control you from behind bars. Do you love him?" Sujin sat first and crossed her long legs beneath the table, she glanced up at you asking the question airily.

"Yes." You sat placing the items you'd brought for Irene on the table top; a bag of Honey Butter Chips and a box of strawberry milk, her favorites per Tae.

"Remind yourself of that when she starts manipulating you." You both waited in silence another several minutes before the loud woosh of a door being opened filled the room.

"Little mouse! I was shocked when they said you'd come to visit." You stiffened at her voice, a cold sweat starting at your hairline. This woman had tried to kill you, as casually as if it was a nail appointment where she chatted with the tech.

"Joohyun." Sujin took your hand under the table once more her fingers stroking a path across your palm.

"Oh Sujin, you're more beautiful than ever, how's Joonie?" Irene was every bit as charming and gorgeous in her white prison uniform as the designer dresses you were more used to seeing her in.

"Wonderful, thank you for asking. They're touring in the US, I can't wait for him to get home." Sujin's voice was warm as if she were speaking to a close friend. You knew she was buying you time and trying to let you collect yourself.

"My favorites, did you bring these Y/N?" Those sharp eyes found you intensely and you realized you preferred her calling you little mouse over your actual name in her mouth.

"Yes, clearly I'm trying to put you in a good mood." You shrugged feigning nonchalance.

"Because you want something from me?" Irene had already opened the bag of chips and was inhaling their sweet scent.

"Yes, no sense pretending this is a social visit, you know why you're in here, I hardly think I'd swing by to check on you." You didn't want to put her on the defensive but you needed to construct some boundaries.

"You don't really think I'm going to help you for a little snack?" Her slim fingers lifted a chip to her lips and she bit into it a moan of a sound coming out as she chewed.

"Depending how much you're willing to do will determine what I do for you Joohyun." You decided to use her real name like Sujin had, wondering if there had been strategy in that.

"What do you want from me? I'm in jail thirty years, rotting behind bars exactly like you want. You win! Congrats, what could I possibly do for you?" Something shining in her eyes told you she knew what you wanted, and was going to make this difficult.