Testing 1-2-3

A surgeon's education never ends. Every patient, every symptom, every operation...is a test, a chance for us to demonstrate how much we know...and how much more we have to learn.

Blake sat on the bed staring blankly at woman opposite her, she was wearing black dress. They still didn't touch on Susan, well until now. Blake offered to go with her to the funeral but she point blank refused..

"Stop staring at me." Muttered Meredith

Blake sighed and looked away before standing to her feet and heading out of the bedroom "Sure." She muttered and left the room. She made her way to the kitchen , the house was a mess. Everything was packed up, or mostly everything was packed up in boxes. She stared at the decanter holding the whisky.. she bit her lip. She had a test this afternoon and being under the influence wouldn't be considered as advisable.

She bypassed the decanter and went to the coffee machine instead. She idly tapped the counter waiting for the machine to beep and signal her.

"I'm going to take my jeep... since I'll be going to Susan's funeral.." started Meredith entering the kitchen.

Blake didn't turn "I can drop you off Meredith and I'll pick you up. We don't need to take two cars.." she licked her lips "by the way, do you want to move into the house before we leave to Spain, or after?" She asked pouring her a fresh cup of coffee. The Brazilian roasted beans made her inhale greedily.

She paused her motion when Meredith wrapped her arms around her waist "I've been awful this week haven't I?"

Blake hummed "Mm.."

Meredith closed her eyes pushing away the tears  "I'm sorry.. I defended him for trying to slap me, and I'm sorry you had to where more make up than you usually wear to cover up the bruise."

Blake sighed and turned around and cupped Meredith's cheeks  "I'm not upset mer, I was upset at his reaction. I understand grief, I understand anger. When my daughter died I was angry at everyone — I was angry at Gigi, the doctors but I didn't raise my hands at them. I took it out on inanimate objects. He had no right. That's my point. You shouldn't believe that he had a right. He had absolutely no right raising his hand at you. And if he tries it again, the next time I'll break his nose."

Meredith nodded gently "okay.."

Blake pecked her head "Are you sure you don't want me to come to the funeral with you?"

Meredith shook her head "Remember ? I just need time to breath on my own.".

Blake smiled sadly  "Doesn't mean I'll wait right beside you.."

••••••

SGH

Blake and Meredith alongside Christina watched missing hikers being rolled into the ER every attending was there helping. She had seen Addison and they had a very short conversation which was basically Addie yelling at her that she was dried up over the phone. She wasn't able to get a word in edgewise. Then the whole Susan dying happened and she needed to stay by Meredith's side even if they barely spoke about her fake mother dying.

"You see that ? That is a flail chest! I should be there , I've never seen one before. Dammit why does it have to be test day." Ranted Christina looking to her and Meredith for answers.

Meredith hummed absently staring ahead "Oh, I know."

Christina looked at her then back at Meredith "I'm sure the chief will let you take the test later with the funeral and everything today." Blake shook her head indicating she tried saying that already.