Disarm

To a degree, medicine is a science.

Blake sat outside on the patio enjoying the sun rise, she turned when the sliding door opened and watched Meredith walk out with her own cup of coffee.

But I would argue that it's also an art.

"Looks like it'll be a good day.." Meredith started sitting in the seat opposite her wife. Surprisingly or unsurprisingly the silent treatment continued for a week, they didn't talk, or rather Blake didn't talk to her not since their last argument. "I see you slept in Alex's bed again."

Blake continued drinking her coffee staring out at the horizon, she took a deep breath closing her eyes. Her trial started today , today she was gathering her team, today she'd start working on the drug, her nerves were shot, in fact Alex held her the entire night as she cried into his chest. He didn't say anything, he didn't try to comfort her instead he just held her , something she wanted her wife to do, because even if she was excited she was scared, she was terrified.. this was her first solo trial, where she'd be in charge and it made her sick to her stomach. So yeah she sobbed like a child in her best friends chest..

Meredith sighed heavily "Okay, going days without speaking was fine because I understood you needed space, and then You started sleeping in Alex's bed and I guess I understood but it's been a week, this is ridiculous.." Blake said nothing but finished her coffee and stood to her feet.

"Okay.. I'm ovulating," Meredith said trying to earn any response from Blake.

"My trial starts today thanks for asking how I feel." She said dryly and walked into the house.

Meredith rubbed her face tiredly "Ugh marriage."

The doctors who see medicine as science only? You don't want them by your side when your bleeding won't stop or when your child is screaming in pain.

•••••••

Blake walked through the halls of the hospital with the intention heading to her lab when her pager went off she reached the nurses station and found Andrea waiting for her. She opened her mouth to speak but her attention went to the news.

"Oh my god." Blake stared at the TV her mind flashing back to the shooting at the hospital. Her hand went to her chest absently.

"Dr.Carmichael we need all available personnel.." Blake turned to the nurse and looked at Andrea.

"I have to go.." she apologized "I'll find you , so get to the lab.. and familiarize yourself with the equipment okay?"

Andrea blinked "Yes of course go." She said understandably.

Blake nodded, but her jaw clenched as she made her way down to the pit. When she arrived everyone looked her way.

"People ... People ... our own trauma is fresh, and we are going to have feelings today, and there is no shame in that. What I want to say is, what we went through six months ago, they are going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters ... which makes them fellow travelers, which makes them our own. So to the very best of our ability, we are gonna do our work first. And you're gonna have your feelings later." Richard said staring at everyone.

Blake unclasped her necklace and quickly slipped her wedding rings on them before walking out to the ambulance bay. When the second ambulance pulled up.

"What do we have Mikey?" She asked the medic

"Professor John Sturgeon, 48, fell out a fourth-story window, has an open skull fracture and a blown pupil" he said as they unloaded the guy. Blake pursed her lips and opened his eyes and flashed her penlight