11. Another Arrest

Ram and Priya entered the room. Ram locked the door. Priya looked at Ram who was just not looking himself.
Priya: Ram.
Ram took a deep breath.
Ram(in a measured tone): Priya I don't want to talk right now. I feel angry and frustrated.
Priya nodded at him and went to the study table to arrange the exam papers she needs to check.
Ram went to take shower. He took a little longer than his now usual(after Priya came into his life).
He came out fresh and was feeling better, his anger subsided.
He went and sat on the bed.
Priya looked at him once then went to take a bath. She came out changing into night clothes. She sat on her side of bed with the exam papers and started checking the papers without looking at Ram.
Ram: Priya?
Priya(looking at a exam paper): Hmmm.
Ram: Are you angry with me?
Priya: No.
Ram: Then why are you not talking to me?
Priya: Because you told me you didn't want to talk as you were angry. And I decided to let you process your emotions.
Ram: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you that.
Priya: No. You did the right thing. You could've shouted at me, you could've thrown all your anger at me, push me , slap me. You did none of those. You patiently told me that you don't want to talk because you're angry. And that is a healthy boundary in our marriage. It's not that you're pushing me away. It's more like you're allowing me to love you in your own space.
Ram: What are you saying?
Priya: Okay. So in my life I've seen men casually shouting, beating the women in their life, shout out to MS and Neeraj. Even Akshay gets very angry at times. Not like he gets violent or something. But You! You changed my whole perspective. Ram even if you're thrown into a situation that is creating rage in you, frustrates you to hell, you've trained yourself not to misbehave with people around you. I've rarely seen you loosing your self-control. And you've my immense respect for that.
Ram we are two different people. We have different minds, different thought processes, different action-reaction patterns. And we've decided to be together with eachother, be a team, supporting each other, holding each other tightly when difficult time comes. You know what people say, that in marriage you become one mind, you should always think together, there should be no space for individuals, marriage is where two people become one- I feel this concept is pure bullshit. Ram we'll always be two different individuals. And every individuals need their own space where they can process their thoughts so they can sort themselves out. Suppose today when you told me that you don't want to talk if I shouted at you and told you that no you should talk to me first. Would you be happy? I'm asking you would you be happy?
Ram: I don't think so. I wouldn't say anything to you but no I wouldn't be happy.
Priya: So that's where a crack would have happened if I did so. We would've forgotten that but in the future it could become a trigger for you because I would have tried to invade your space not allowing you to process your thoughts.
But here, you took your time, you sorted yourself out and then you came to talk to me when you were ready. There is no fight, no
misunderstanding. We're perfectly happy. Did that make sense to you?
Ram: Wow! Yeah it did make sense. Thank you.
Priya: Ram everyday I learn things from you, from us. Our understanding is getting better day by day because we live like two individuals holding hands, making each other comfortable in our own space. I know I've made mistakes in the past by not telling you things, you've done that too but we realized with time that hiding important things from eachother in order provide protection is not doing any good to us. So I learnt not to hide things from each others. And that is why we're still together, fighting with the world for each other. If again I hid Varun's information from you to protect you, I know by now we would've reached our breaking point. If I leant something from all this is that we're gonna make mistakes but learning from it and not repeating it is important that's the only way we
Ram looked at her understanding her point of view. Ram nodded and went near her and hugged her tightly.
After sometime,
Ram: Oh! Wait!
Ram left the room and came back after sometime. Priya saw his hands were behind his back and he looked kind of nervous.
Priya: What happened?
He came to her side and kneeled down on one knee with a red rose, still a little nervous,
Ram: Priya! I know that we're going through very tough times right now, the situations are not really favorable. But we're together and that's what really matters. And I know with you by my side, I can overcome any problem. These past few weeks have been emotionally and physically draining for both of us. And I was thinking maybe we can go somewhere for 2-3 days this weekend. So Mrs. Kapoor will you come to a romantic getaway with me?
Ram finished. Priya blushed, then laughed a little.
Priya thought, "Maybe we can go. I want to spend more time with Ram. And because of these we barely get time. And we're both exhausted and frustrated. Maybe a short trip is a good plan. But what about MS and Shashi?"
Priya stood up and gave him her hand to help him stand up. Ram happily accepted her hand and stood up.
Priya: I understand. But what about MS and Shashi? They are still not arrested.
Ram: Priya! I appointed Krish for what! He'll take care of the investigation. And complaints have been lodged, the Police are searching for them. We have the evidence and all. It's not like the case is still a private investigation. The Police are actively involved. And we'll not go anywhere far away from here. So if needed we can get back in a few hours.
Priya accepted the Rose from him.
Priya: Okay then. Yes I'll go on a romantic getaway with you, Mr. Kapoor.
Ram: Yayyyyyy!
He hugged her first then swirled her once by holding her by her waist.
Priya: Okay. Okay. Anyways that Alibaug trip was a disaster.
Ram: Ha. Toh isme meri galti nahi hai. Shivi ko tumne kaha tha aur poori paltan saath mein chali gayi.
Priya: Ram! I just told Shivi that Hum (gesturing him and herself) ja rahe hai. And she was like yeahhh hum sab jayenge Alibaug. I tried to make her understand but you know Shivi usse toh na sunne ki hi aadat nahi hai.
Ram: Hoooo! Priya! Tum mere paas Shivi ki bitching kar rahi ho!
Priya rolled her eyes at him.
Ram: Alibaug was a disaster. Sab garbad ho gaya. Aur iss bar Shivi ko mat batana plz.
Priya: Of course nahi bataungi! And you were on another level there. Mujhe food poisoning hui, Sandy ne kaha ki main pregnant huu toh aap ne mann lia. Your brain stopped working or what due to excitement! It's like biology doesn't exist in your world and all your logics went out of the window! Till then we hadn't done anything that could make me pregnant. Seriously I need to know how your brain really works Ram cause it never came to your mind to ask yourself "how?". I was afraid to think that if you really knew how a baby is actually made.
Priya huffed a little. Ram was embarrassed.
Ram: Priya yaar! I said sorry for it thousand times for that. Let's not talk about it. I'm already embarrassed. (Dropping a few octaves)And about that, if I really know how to make a baby, let me show you what I know.
He started drawing patterns around her waist.
Priya: Not now Ram. I've so many papers to check and submit it by tomorrow. Or else it wouldn't be possible for me to go on a trip. So let me work.
Ram: Okay fineeee.
Ram kissed both of her cheeks adoringly and went to his side to plan their itinerary.
Priya started checking the papers. Suddenly,
Priya: Waise where are we going? Because mujhe phir se Alibaug toh nahi jana.
Ram: It's a surprise and no we're not gonna go to Alibaug.
Priya: Arrghhhh! No! Please you know I hate surprises Ram. Tell me na please.
Ram: No.
Priya tried to look into the laptop screen.
Ram: No cheating Priya. You'll only know when we get there.
Priya: Yaad rakhungi yeh main.
Ram: Ha rakhlo yaad. Saradin mujhe 50 times No bolti ho woh yaad nahi rehta. Maine 1 bar kya bol diya gussa dikha rahi ho. Jo karna hai karo I'm not telling you.
It was 1am when Priya finished checking all the papers. Ram was asleep by then. She smiled seeing him and kissed his forehead which made Ram smile in his sleep.
Priya(whispering): Good night Ram.
She fell asleep a little later.

It was 3:15am when Ram's phone started ringing. Ram fumbled a little then attened the call.
Ram(sleepily): Hello!
Krish: Ram it's me Krish!
Ram was wide awake in a second.
Ram: What happened Krish? Is everything all right?
Krish: It's more than alright Ram. Police arrested Mahendra Sood 15 minutes ago from his house. He is in Bandra Police Station right now. I'm going there right now. Please come as soon as possible.
Ram: Oh! Oh my God! Okay thank you Krish. We'll be there.
Krish: Ram is informing Priya necessary right now? We can handle it.
Ram: Krish! She'll kill us if we don't.
Krish: That's true. Okay see you.
Ram: Yeah.
Ram cut the call.
Ram: Priya! Priya! Wake up.
Ram shook her a little.
Priya: Ram please sone do mujhe.
Ram: Priya Krish ka call aaya tha.
Priya's eyes opened in an instant.
Priya: What? What happened?
Ram: MS was arrested by the Police sometime ago. He is in Bandra Police Station. We need to go.
Priya sat up.
Priya: Go get ready asap.
Telling him that she sprinted away to the washroom. They quickly got ready and went out of house towards the car and drove away.
While driving Ram looked once at Priya, whose face showed expression mixed with anger and disgust. Ram decided to keep quiet.
They reached the police station. Priya didn't even wait for Ram, she dashed towards the main gate.
Krish was already there. He saw Priya coming, looking like a lioness, followed by Ram.
Priya(with a straight face): Where is he?
Krish: He's here but Priya! It's okay you don't need to meet him. I'll do the procedures.
Priya: You don't tell me what to do and what not Krish. I'll ask again where is he?
Krish looked at Ram once who was as angry as her.
Krish: Okay come with me.
He took Priya and Ram inside. And there was MS in the last cell.
Priya went near the bars.
MS looked at them angrily.
Priya(firmly): Still looking at me like that? I never thought you could go lower than you already went. But like always you surprised me Mahendra Sood. You took an innocent man' life and still there is no sense of remorse that you tried to kill his son.
(Her voice was raising) How could you do that? And for what? Money. How can a person be this inhumane? You didn't only took his life MS you destroyed a happy family. And look at the irony! I'm married to his son. Do you have any idea that is going on in my life? Oh! Why would you? Aapne toh kabhi beti maana hi nahi.
MS: A ladki! Aapna muh bandh rakh. Kaisi beti hai jo apne pita se aisi baat karti hai. Tu aayi iss duniya mein meri wajah se. And you're taking the side of your husband.
Priya: I'm not your fucking daughter! Get that straight to your head. You were dead to me the day I came to know about your betrayal to my ma. Aur baap hone ka farz kabhi nibhaya hai aapne! I wish aapko capital punishment mile. You deserve to die.
MS tried to strangle Priya but Ram was too fast. He saved Priya.
Ram(furious): Don't touch my Wife you bastard! You murdered my father, tried to kill me and Priya got hurt then you kidnapped her! Itna sab kuch karne ke bad bhi bolti bandh nahi hui! You and your partners made my happy life a living hell. You took away the father of two small children and a husband from a loving wife and from me! You took away my favourite person from me, my Dad. Gire huye ishaan toh tum the hi...shaadi ke pehle se dekh raha hoon yeh! Par murder! How could you Mahendra Sood! I promise I'll make sure you get your deserved punishment.
MS: Ram Kapoor tumhe toh Lohri ke din hi mar jaana chahiye tha. Accha lagta iss besharam ladki ko safed saree mein phut phut ke rote huye dekhne mein. But this girl again came in between my job. Tum zinda nahi bachoge Ram Kapoor mujhe jail vej kar.
Priya(screaming): Shut up! Just shut up!
This time tears started falling from her eyes. She started shaking. Ram held her close to him and caressed her head.
Krish: What a monster! You are in jail still dhamki de rahe ho! Constable isska dhyan rakhna acche se. Ram Priya chalo yaha se.
Ram held Priya securely while giving a last death glare to MS went out from there.
Priya was crying uncontrollably.
Krish: Ram you take Priya home. I will handle the formalities. Don't worry. Now just Shashi hath mein aa jaye.
Ram: Thanks Krish. Priya come let's go home.
He took Priya near the car. He was about to open the door for her when she hugged him while crying.
Priya(sobbing): Ram! Why did he said that! Whyyyy? No no no. Nothing will happen to you. Please promise me you'll not leave me Ram! Please!
Ram: Priya! I'll be fine. Tum ho na mere haath toh main thik hoon. I'll never ever leave you sweetheart. It's my promise to you. Now let's go home.
Ram helped Priya sit down as she was still shaking.
He sat on the driver's seat, took Priya's hand and gently pressed his lips on her knuckles.
Priya smiled a little.
They drove back home.

Hope you liked the chapter. Please share your views on it.