12. Love, Care & Respect

Ram and Priya came home and went straight to bed.
Priya was still crying. Ram made her keep her head on his lap. He caressed her hair, sometimes later she fell asleep.
Ram made her sleep on the pillow and laid down and instantly fell asleep due to the tiredness and a little relief that MS is in jail.
It was 6:30am when Ram woke up. He placed a soft kiss on Priya's forehead and went to get ready. After getting ready he went to his study room. He closed the door and sat down. Wrote some letters. It was already 7:20am when he finished his work.
He went to his room and saw Priya still sleeping soundly. He placed her hair strands in the right place and placed a kiss on her cheek.
He came down to find Tarun and Punnu.
Ram: Tarun, Punnu please come with me.
He directed them towards a guest room and after entering he locked the room.
Tarun and Punnu both were frightened.
Tarun: Sir! Sab thik hai na? Hum se koi galti hui hai?
Punnu: Sir please!
Ram: Areeyyy! Tum dono bhi na aisi koi baat nahi hai relax. I need your help.
Tarun: Yes sir. Bataiye.
Ram: Ummm...actually I made my will and I want you both to be my witnesses. You both are taking care of me for 12 years now, if I'm healthy and functioning properly it's because of you both. And I trust you so much. Will you do this for me?
Punnu: Sir! Hum kaise? Hum apke servents hain.
Ram: Servent nahi ho tum. Family ho mere. Itne saal mere saath rahe ho meri care ki, zaroorat ka kheyal rakha, meri tabiyat kharab hoti hai toh tum log paresan hote ho dusro se zyada. Tum dono ke bina ek din nahi chalta mera. Tum dono toh dekh ki sakte ho kuch dino se kya chal raha hai ghar mein. Mujhe batane ki zaroorat hai kya Tarun, Punnu?
Tarun: Sir hum samajh gaye hai. Aur hum yeh kam zaroor karenge. Apne bhi itne saal hamari aur hamare families ka dhyan rakha hai aur yeh toh bohot choti cheez mang rahe hain aap.
Punnu: Ji sir. Hum karenge aap fikar mat kijiye.
Ram: Thank you so much. And you have to keep it a secret. No one other than us should know about this.
Tarun and Punnu: Okay sir.
He hugged both of them.
They just smiled. They knew their Ram sir has a big heart.
Ram: Okay! Toh hum chalein phir?
Tarun: Sir aapka breakfast! Pehle woh kijiye phir chalenge.
Ram laughed and went with them.
In his heart, he knew he made the right decision.
He had breakfast and they went outside to the car.
He sent a message to Priya saying that he's out for an important work. And will be home soon.
It was 8:10am when they reached the lawyer's office. They went inside. Ram told Tarun and Punnu to wait in the sitting area while he went to meet Mr. Roy in his office.
Mr. Roy: Mr. Kapoor come come. I was waiting for you.
Ram took a seat.
Mr. Roy: This is the final copy of the will. I made the changes you told me to do. Take a look.
Ram read the whole will carefully.
Ram: Yes. Mr. Roy it's perfect.
Mr. Roy: Okay then sign it and where are your witnesses?
Ram went to call Tarun and Punnu.
They all sat down.
Ram signed where he was asked and then Tarun and Punnu signed as the two witnesses.
Mr. Roy: Okay. Then it is registered. Where do you want to keep your will?
Ram: In your office only. And you have to keep it a secret. My friends, you, me, Tarun and Punnu this is all. No one should no about this other than us. And take these letters also and keep these with the will. And make the necessary papers to be signed with it and keep them with it.
Mr. Roy: Okay. Very well Mr. Kapoor. Don't worry. I will not disclose anything until absolutely necessary.
Ram: Okay. Then we shall leave. Thank you so much Mr. Roy.
They hand shaked.

Ram, Tarun and Punnu came home. Tarun and Punnu went to do their work and Ram went to their room.
Priya was getting ready when Ram entered the room.
He went and back hugged her.
Ram: Good morning beautiful!
Priya(curtly): Morning.
Ram: I see. Someone is angry with me. I'm sorry Priya. I had a very important work.
Priya: I understand. It's just that you should've woken me up when you left and you didn't. I don't like it when I don't see your face first thing in the morning.
She complained. Ram's heart melted. He loved it when Priya behaved like that.
Ram turned her towards him. Cupped her face and captured her lips in a deep kiss. Priya also kissed him with the same intensity.
They broke the kiss feeling breathless.
Ram: How are you feeling?
Priya: Now I'm feeling good.
They both laughed.
Ram: No. Priya. Seriously how do you feel? After what happened last night. You were very angry and stressed.
Priya: Ram I'm feeling relieved to be honest. Finally he is in jail. Finally he'll receive his punishment. I'm ok. Don't worry.
She set his hair which obviously fell on his forehead again.
Priya: Your hair is very stubborn Ram.
Ram: Yours too.
He hugged her tightly and kissed her hair.
Then he told Tarun to come with her breakfast. Priya had her breakfast while Ram called Krish to inform him that they'll on time to meet Varun.
After finishing breakfast they came down and saw Nandini having breakfast.
Ram and Priya both wished her Good morning. She also wished them.
Ram: Mom. MS was arrested last night by the Police. He is in jail.
Nandini(shocked): What? Oh! That's a very good news Ram. (Faking concern) I'm sorry Priya. How do you feel?
Priya: Don't be sorry Mom. I'm fine. He is where he deserves to be. He belongs to be in jail. I'm happy that finally Dad will get justice. He didn't deserve it Mom.
Nandini nodded.
They both left to pick Ishaan.
The drive was almost silent. As they both were engrossed in their own thoughts.
Soon they reached Meera ma's home and rang the calling bell.
Sara opened the door and gave them a small smile.
Sara: Come. Ishaan is ready and waiting for you.
Ram and Priya entered.
Ishaan was sitting in the living room.
Ram went near him and sat down beside him.
Ram: Ishaan are you ready? Don't force yourself for anything.
Ishaan(finally looking at Ram): Yes I'm ready RK.
Priya came and ruffled his hair lovingly.
Priya: Don't worry. We're with you. You can trust us.
Ishaan nodded at her and gave her a small smile.
Ram: Okay then let's go or we'll be late.
Sara came to Ishaan and kissed his forehead. Ishaan hugged her teary- eyed.
Sara: You're very brave and mature Ishaan. I'm proud of you and I love you. Please take care.
Ishaan gave a huge smile to her that conveyed his feelings for his mother.
Sara nodded understanding his emotions.
Meera and Sara bid them goodbyes.
They started driving towards the police station. The drive was all silent because Ram and Priya did not want to overwhelm Ishaan.
They reached the police station.
Priya(before entering): Do you want to hold my hand?
Ishaan nodded and held Priya's hand.
They entered inside the police station.
Krish was already there. Ram and Krish talked while Priya and Ishaan stood there.
Ram came to them.
Ram: Okay so they'll arrange seats to sit and talk. Ishaan do you want to talk to Varun alone or do you want us to stay with you while you talk to him?
Ishaan thought for a moment.
Ishaan: I want you both to stay with me.
Ram: Okay then we will stay.
Priya also nodded.
Krish: Come guys. This way.
Krish led them to the room where the meeting arrangements is done.
Before entering the room,
Ram: Ishaan, no matter what just know that we're here with you. Okay? Don't worry. Everything will be fine.
Ishaan nodded.
Ishaan, Ram and Priya entered the room and there was Varun in jail costume, sitting on a chair.
He looked at them and looking at Ishaan brought tears in his eyes.
They slowly walked towards him and took the three chairs infront of Varun to sit. There was a table between them. Ishaan sat in the middle with Ram and Priya either side of him.
Ishaan looked at Varun with a blank face. He didn't speak.
Finally Varun couldn't wait any longer.
Varun: How are you Ishaan?
Ishaan didn't answer.
Varun: Ishaan. Beta please. Talk to me.
Ishaan: Is there anything left to talk.
Varun: I'm sorry Ishaan. I didn't want to do this. But your nana told me he would provide me with a lot of money so I did it. I badly needed the money. And Sara and I were about to get married. I wanted to make her happy.
Ishaan: Lie. If you wanted to make my mumma happy you could've chosen any other honest path to earn money. But you didn't. You chose to take away a person's life. And you did it because of your greed. And don't take my mumma's name from your mouth. I don't want to hear it. She doesn't want to see you.
Varun: Ishaan I'm your father. I raised you all these years, took care of you, loved you. And she did was earn money. Kya zaroorat thi? She could've chosen to take care of you, spend time with you. But she did not. I did all of it. And you're talking to me like that.
Ishaan went stiff. Ram held his hand. After a few seconds, Ishaan got a grip of himself.
Ishaan: Yes. She did chose to earn money. For my future and your future. Because you refused to help her financially. Because you were lazy and didn't want to work. That's why she had to. That's why she chose to work and couldn't spend time with me.
Varun was speechless.
Ishaan: I know what you're thinking. Yes. I know everything. Mumma told me everything. She wanted to take care of us. And all you did was make me believe that my mumma is a bad person. She never wanted me. She never loved me.
Ishaan's tears started to fall.
Varun: Listen to...
Ishaan cut him off midway,
Ishaan: No. I'll talk today. My mumma loves me, cares for me, and wanted to give me a happy life. And you made me mistrust her all my life dad. Why? Because you don't like her? Why? Because you didn't want her around me?
Varun: Ishaan aisi baat nahi hai. Trust me.
Ishaan: Trust you? Trust a murderer? Yeah! Yahi bacha hai karne ko. Abhi bhi you'll lie to me. Can't believe this.
Varun didn't speak.
Ishaan: My feel proud that my mumma is independent. And I respect her for that and everything about her. So stop. I don't want to another lie about her.
Varun: Ishaan I really love you beta. And it's not like I hate Sara. I just didn't want her to be around you. I wanted you to be just my son. That's it.
Ishaan: Wow! Finally. Thank you for the truth dad. You made me happy. What is your problem? She's my mumma. I came into this world because of her. She loves me. Then why did you wanted her to be away from me?
Varun: I don't know. I just didn't want to.
Ishaan: Pathetic. How could you take a life? I thought my dad is the best dad in the world. But you proved me wrong. RK loved his father. He was a good person. And you killed him. Mercilessly. You deserve to be here. You and nana deserve to be punished.
Varun: Ishaan!
Ishaan: What? Did I say anything wrong? Oh! Of course. Because you taught me to hate my mother, told me that her family doesn't care about me, you used me as a spy for your dirty work. That's all you taught me. How can I forget? But I'm trying to unlearn everything. It'll take time but I'll do it. Listen! I still love you but whenever I think about you the first thing that comes to my mind is that my dad is a murderer. And I want to to be punished for the crime you did. And you don't care about me or you would have never done this. Don't worry about me. I have people in my life who care about me, love me. I'll be fine. Take care. Goodbye.
Varun: Ishaan! Beta please. Don't leave me like this. And please come to see me again. I'll miss you.
Ishaan: Sorry. I can't promise anything. RK, Priya Masi come. Let's go home.
Varun: Ishaan. Take care beta. I love you. And I'm sorry.
Ishaan: Take care. Dad.
Ram and Priya took Ishaan out of the room.
They met Krish outside. They didn't speak, Ram and Priya just nodded at him wjich he reciprocated.
They silently went to the car. Ram was about to open the car door for Ishaan when he hugged Ram tightly and broke down in his arms.
He was crying so much. Ram just held him close and let him cry. Him and Priya also had tears in his eyes.
Sometimes later Ishaan's cry lessened.
Ishaan(still sobbing): I'm so sorry RK that you lost you father because of him. I'm so so sorry. He did not deserve it.
Ram: Bacche, you don't be sorry. You did nothing wrong. It's okay Ishaan. I'm fine now. Let's go home your mumma is waiting for you.
Ishaan nodded and sat inside the car. Ram gestured Priya to sit with him. Priya nodded and sat beside him. Priya made him keep his head on her shoulder and caressed his hair lovingly.
They journey towards home was silent. They reached Meera ma's home and went upstairs.
They rang the doorbell. Meera opened the door and welcomed them.
Ishaan ran to his mother and hugged her tightly, and started crying. Sara mouthed a Thank you to Ram and Priya who nodded.
Ram: Meera ma hum chalte hain. We're getting late for work. Take care of Ishaan.
Meera hugged them both and bid them good bye.
They both went downstairs towards their car and drove away.

Today's generation's kids of 13-14 years are very mature, sensible and conscious. And I wanted my version of Ishaan to be just like that. Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter. Please share your views they motivate me to write better.