44. There's No Shortcut To Success

Ram was tapping his feet vigorously in his cabin, waiting for Priya to arrive with Shubham. He just finished having a conversation with his friends about Shubham.

Although they didn't agree to let Shubham join their company because firstly he was extremely lazy and ill-tempered, and secondly he respected no one, not even his own brother, but they agreed to trust Priya's judgement.

A little later, there was a knock on the door and Ram saw Priya entering, followed by Shubham. While Priya gave Ram a silent nod, Shubham lowered his head the moment his eyes met his brother's. It was an uncomfortable situation for all three of them.

Clearing his throat, Ram gestured them to sit. Ram also sat down.

Ram: Hmm...bol kya problem hai?

Shubham never felt this nervous in his entire life. He didn't even know if he had the right answer for the question asked by his brother because he literally knew nothing about his own business. It would be a few months that he was trying to learn everything but all his efforts failed miserably.

Priya eyes were focused on Ram. She saw his shoulders drooping because of disappointment. But she didn't know whom he was more disappointed for....Shubham or himself. Ram always tend to blame himself for his siblings' failures as if he had failed at being a responsible parent.

With fear in his eyes, Shubham turned to look at Priya. Priya gestured him to talk.

Ram: Shubhu Priya doesn't hold any shares in your company now. Pehle ki baat hoti toh I would've listened to her par ab main bilkul nahi sununga. Toh uski taraf dekhke kuch hoga nahi. Tu bata mujhe kya hua hai.

Priya silently shifted her gaze towards the window.

Ram waited for a couple of minutes more before he began to get frustrated.

Ram: Shubhu I don't have all day. Maine ek meeting reschedule ki hai tujhe accomodate karne ke liye.

Finally Shubham looked up and prepared to speak.

Shubham: Woh...(clearing his throat multiple times) ummm...main ek deal crack karna chah raha tha. It didn't work. Investors ne mana kar diya.

Ram: Okay. Main yeh toh pooch raha tha. Samajh gaya.

Shubham felt a little relaxed, knowing that Ram was satisfied with his answer.

Ram: Presentation hai abhi?

Shubham nodded and opened his laptop to show the PPT to Ram. Ram looked through it for some time with a blank face. It looked below average to him and not really agreeable to invest in it. Ram knew this would happen, he even talked to Priya about it and both decided that it would be good if Ram didn't entirely discourage him, yet not give him hope to continue with the project.

Ram: Shubhu this needs a lot of work. Betterment ke scopes bohot hain and you need skills for it.

Shubham: Toh kya karoon main?

Ram: Shubhu tujhe kaam shikhna hoga. Maine kitni baat tujhe bola tha ke office aa roz, thoda kaam shikh le before you begin with your own par tune suna nahi. Ab dekh ho gayi na problem.

Ram briefly took a look at Priya who slightly shook her head, telling him not to scold Shubham after this and that, this would be enough. Ram gave her a gentle nod and turned to Shubham.

Ram: Jab main pehle iss business mein aaya tha mujhe bhi kuch khaas pata nahi tha. Toh don't worry. Maine jaise Kumar uncle ke farm mein rehke shikh liya tha kaam, tu bhi shikh sakta hai. Not a big deal.

Shubham silently nodded.

Ram: I have a proposal if you're interested.

Shubham's eyes widened in anticipation.