55. Huge Responsibility

2 weeks later...

Ram let out a long sigh that carried the weight of his feelings of sorrow and profound helplessness as his eyes fell on his pregnant wife curled up on the bed with a very bad headache. 

It has been almost a week since Priya's pregnancy symptoms have started getting extremely harsh. Although she somehow managed in the first two days, the last three days were absolute hell. Two days back she started feeling sick while taking a class and it was so bad that she had to call Ram to take her home and from then her health started to deteriorate even more. 

Ram has been with her since then, taking care of her but today he had to go to the office for a few hours because of an urgent matter and there was a huge guilt attached to it. 

He was trying to reschedule it since yesterday, he would have tried more but Priya overheard his conversation with the client and somehow managed to get him to agree to go to the office today. So he got ready, unwillingly. 

Walking towards her side of the bed, he gently kept his hand over her tummy. Priya immediately opened her eyes and flashed her tired toothy smile which has become usual now. 

Ram: Thoda better lagg raha hai ab?

Priya gave a feeble nod, just enough for Ram to understand that the new headache balm the doctor prescribed wasn't helping much. Priya couldn't use the OTC balms as they weren't safe for pregnancy. 

Ram: Main paani garam karke doon? Usse thoda kam hoga shayad. 

Priya(in a low voice): Abhi nahi. Baad mein. Lagg raha hai thoda sa bhi hilungi toh phirse ulti hogi. 

Priya's sensitive state brought tears to Ram's eyes. She threw up just after she woke up and now she couldn't move because she might feel nauseated.

Ram: Main nahi jaunga. I...I can't. 

Priya: Ram please...main isse zyada zor se baat nahi kar sakti. Please jaiye...700 crore ki deal hai. It's a big one. Kuch unch neech ho gayi toh I won't be able to digest it. So please jaiye. 

Ram looked away. He hated to see her like this and moreover, he was the reason for it. Yes, he was over the moon happy that he was going to be a Papa but he was also feeling guilty. 

Taking her hand near Ram's face, Priya gently caressed his cheek. 

Priya: Paneer paratha banane ke liye kaha hai maine...jaiye breakfast kar lije. 

Ram lowered his gaze, trying really hard to control his emotions. 

Ram: Mujhe nahi khaana. Tumne kyun bola banane ko? Tum kuch nahi kha paa rahi...mujhe achha lagega kya akele akele woh sab khaane mein? Mujhe nahi khaana. 

Priya let out a soft sigh. Ram had started to eat bland food with her to give her company that he obviously didn't enjoy and Priya didn't want him to do that. 

Priya: Ram khaana agar pasand na aaye na...toh tabiyat kharab hoti hai. I know aapko cereal, oats yeh sab achha nahi lagta. 

Ram just shook his head, refusing to eat those paranthas. 

Priya: Ram please...mere aur baby ke liye. 

Ram caressed her head softly with a sad smile. 

Ram: I'm so sorry...Main kuch nahi kar paa raha tumhare liye. 

Priya: Tch. Har waqt mera khayal rakhne ke baad aisa bol rahe hain? Not done Pluto. (Caressing his hand that he kept on her tummy) Hume toh pata tha na ke yeh difficult hone wala hai. 

Ram: Itna? Tum barely kuch kha paa rahi ho. 

Priya: Kam ho jayega Ram. Maa ne kaha tha na. Ab wait ke alawa koi option bhi toh nahi hai na. Ab jaiye aap breakfast karke fatafat office jaiye aur kaam khatam karke fatafat wapas aaiye.