39. Building Boundaries

It was 5:30pm when Priya out of the office building and sat in the car to go to Meera's house.
She messaged Ram.
Priya: Just got done with the exams. Going home now. Are you free right now or still in a meeting?
Some seconds later reply came from Ram.
Ram: Unfortunately in a meeting. I'll call you when I'm done.
Priya sadly typed.
Priya: Okay.
She put on her earphones and played "Pani Da Rang" from Vicky Donor. Ayushmann Khurana's soothing voice made her miss Ram more.
A little later, a message came from Ram. She opened the message. It was a spotify link. She opened the link. It was "Jashn-e-bahara" from Jodha Akbar. She smiled and sent a ❤ emoji to him then played the song.

Her mind suddenly went to her conversation with Shubham. He looked heavily upset. And he didn't want to talk about the problem and that's more problematic.
"Should I tell Ram? But I know nothing about the problem. Faltu mein unhe pareshan karna thik nahi hoga. I'll try to talk to Shubham tomorrow and then I'll tell Ram. Chipana nahi hai iss baar. But thik se nahi janke I won't stress him out. And more than anything I don't think Shubham would like Ram to know and Ram won't like it if I talk to him. But if he wants a little support shouldn't I help him? Bhai hai woh Ram ka. If he realizes his mistake Ram would definitely forgive him. Ugh! Priya! Kitni problem hai!", she thought.

Soon she reached Meera's house. Meera opened the door for her with a smile. Priya entered and hugged her mother.
Priya: Kaisi ho?
Meera: Main toh bilkul thik hoon. Tu achhi hai na? Ram thik hain na wahan?
Priya broke the hug and gave a genuine smile to her mother, nodding.
Priya: Haan. He's still in a meeting.
Meera(smiling): Thik hai jaa fresh hoke aa. Main kuch snacks bana ke lekar aati hoon.
Shivi came running to Priya and hugged her tightly.
Shivi: Pri diiiii! Achha hua aap aa gaye we'll have fun together.
Priya(pulling Shivi's cheek): Okay. Main fresh hoke aati hoon.

Priya came to sit in the living room after freshening up.
Priya: Aur koi nahi hai ghar pe?
Shivi: No. Akki first office gaya tha uss new project ke liye now gym mein, Sara di bakery, Sandy office and Ishaan went for tution after school.
Shivi pouted cutely.
Shivi: Main bore ho rahi thi. Achha hua aap aa gaye.
Priya smiled at her. Meera came with Sandwiches and Chai. They all started chatting, munching on the food.

After sometime Meera switched on the TV to watch her favorite "Saas-bahu" serials. Priya wrinkled her nose.
Priya(whispering to Shivi): Tum bhi yeh dekhne lagi ho kya Shivi?
Shivi: Arreyyy no no. I don't like all these. Pata nahi Meera bua ko kyun achha lagta hai! Saas bahu ko problem mein dalti hai, Bahu Saas se ladti hai toh husband naraz yeh hi ghisi piti story hai. Sab ITVs aise hi hain Pri di. Naya kuch nahi. Not cool!
Priya: Eww! Chalo hum dono room mein chalte hain inko mazze lene do.
Shivi: Ha ha chalo.

Priya and Shivi went to Priya's room to sit. Priya sat folding her legs, resting her back on the headboard while Shivi rested her head on Priya's lap. Shivi started showing Priya cute dog reels on Instagram. Both started laughing heartily looking at them. Then she moved to the fashion reels. Shivi started talking about how much she likes to watch the reels where the influencers experiment with makeup and dresses, how cool it is. Her eyes twinkled when she was showing Priya some of her recent favorite looks, her favorite influencers etc. Priya didn't have any interest in all this but how Shivi was talking about it with so much love and passion made her listen to Shivi with full concentration.
A little later,
Priya: Why don't you try it Shivi?
Shivi: Kya?
Priya: This Fashion Blogger thing.
Shivi sat up with a jerk making Priya frown.
Shivi: What? Aap bhi na Pri di! Main kaise karoon?
Priya: Kyun nahi kar sakti tum? You love to dress up, experimenting with new fashion trends, follow itne saare bloggers on Instagram, you love to click photos. It's not like you need a specific degree for it. Passion and love for fashion is in my opinion enough na Shivi.
Shivi: But they are so good. How can I compete with them? Nahi so sakta Pri di.
Priya: Compete karne ki kya zaroorat hai Shivi? You only show me some bloggers doing their work in Paris together right? It's not about competition. It's their mutual love for fashion that makes them create unique styles. Hai na?
Shivi thought for some moments.
Shivi: Toh aap keh kya rahe ho?
Priya: Main bass yeh keh rahi hoon if you love all this you can give it a try. Look Shivi it's not about the money. If you engage yourself in something you love doing ek satisfaction aati hai. Aur tumhi ne kuch der pehle kaha that you were bored and it's highly possible at this age. Sab bahar chale jaate hain bore hoti hogi tum. If you start doing something you love, time bhi kar jayega, kitna kuch naya shikh paogi. And about the thing that you will be new to the field, well inn sab ne bhi jab start kiya tha they were newcomers na Shivi...aisa toh nahi hua hoga na ke ek photo upload kia aur usne toofan macha dia. They also became famous gradually.
Okay look at your brother. He also started very young. Ek din mein toh itne bade businessman nahi bane na. He worked really hard to be where he's right now. Bolte hai na "Boond boond bane Sagar". It's kind of like that. You give a little bit of you everyday in what you love, you'll get it back with huge profits someday. It can be money, or fame or self-satisfaction, basically anything. It's doing something for yourself.
Now this is just my suggestion. You don't have to do it. But if you want give it a thought. You are good at it Shivi. I know I'm not into fashion and all but I love your dressing sense, how you carry yourself. Agar mann ho toh sochke dekhna.
Shivi listened to her, slightly open mouthed, nodding, understanding.
Shivi: Baat toh thik keh rahe ho Pri di. But it's hard.
Priya: Life is already not easy Shivi. While working hard everyday is hard, feeling bored and going about your day is also hard. Having no friends is hard and having a lot of friends is also hard because you can't maintain your relationship equally with everyone. Nothing comes easy Shivi. Ab dekho let's not deny that when you first came into this house you would've found it difficult to live because you lived in a big house with a lot of house help, everything reached to you before you even asked for it but you wanted to work it out with Akki, you wanted to live with these people who genuinely love you and care for you, you adjusted yourself in a way that now you are okayish with this living. It was hard Shivi, it's still hard but YOU are doing it because you want it.
Shivi(open mouthed): Ohoooo...yeh toh maine socha hi nahi kabhi. Aap genius ho Pri di.
Priya: Kuch genius nahi hoon. I'm just trying to make you understand that you can give it a try and see if it works out for you.
Shivi: Hmmm...I understand. But karoon kaise?
Priya: Yeh toh mujhe thik se pata nahi. Talk to Ram or Akki ask them. Don't make up your mind just because I said it. Talk to them, take their suggestions, talk to yourself, listen to yourself. Jo bhi karna hai sochke karna.
Shivi nodded.
Shivi(smiling, eyes twinkling): Socho Pri di! My Instagram page, so many stylish pictures, different trendy photos, cloths, so many followers!
Priya(smiling): Ha issi ki baat kar rahi hoon. Put your mind to it and see if it works out!
Shivi jumped on Priya and hugged her tightly.
Shivi: Thank you Pri di! I'll think about it. Mujhe toh sochke ki mazza aa raha hai! Lagta hai Akki aa gaya! Main chalti hoon ha!
Priya(with a smile): Okay.
Shivi ran outside the room to meet Akki.