Life As I Know It

[2008]
Grace Miller, that's me you're average 6 year old. I wake up in the morning and walk downstairs where my mother Dr. Ella Miller greets me with my breakfast - scrambled eggs and a blueberry muffin with a side of fruit. It's just me and my mom. My mother never talks about my father I guess it's just something she doesn't like to bring up. I do want to say that I'm rather curious about him but I don't press my mother about it.

My mother is a surgeon and works for Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, GA. We live in the suburbs. We aren't rich but we do just fine for the two of us.

"Grace make sure you put your plate in the dishwasher and  your bed is made so I can drop you off at school"

"Already done mom."

"I raised you well." She smiled at me. I always tried to do my best to make my moms life a little easier. When I was a baby we lived in a very tiny studio apartment while my mom was in medical school. It was a rough few years I don't remember much but I do remember watching my mom pulling all nighters studying, making food in the morning, taking care of me all while working at her online research job to support our family and pay the bills. She worked so hard to get where she's at right now when I grow up I want to be a doctor just like her.

"Grace come on let's go before we're late."

We get in the car and she drives me to school.

"Alrighty care bear you're staying after school for tutoring?

"Yup I'll be out of school by like 5:30 ish"

"Okay remember I get out of the hospital at 8 tonight but I talked to to Daniel's mom and she's going to pick you up both after school."

"Okay love you mom!"

"Love you too! Have a good day!"

I make my way over to my locker when suddenly I hear my best friend Daniel Campbell. Daniel has been my best friend my whole life since I was practically in diapers. His mom and my mom are also best friends and found out they were both pregnant just a few weeks apart.

"Hey Grace"

"Hey Daniel"

"We still on for movies this Saturday?"

"Yup got permission from the parental figure"

"Cool my mom told me you're staying for dinner tonight.?"

"Yeah my mom isn't off until 8"

"Well hey more time for Mario Kart"

"I call being Yoshi"

"No fair you're always Yoshi"

"Haven't you ever heard of letting the guest pick which character they can be" I joked.

"Let's just get to class."

[AFTER SCHOOL AT DANIEL'S HOUSE]

"Hey Gracie"

"Hey Mr. Campbell how are you."

"Doing better than ever I just got this new grill I've been dying to use so we're about to have a feast. How was school kids?"

"Oh same old, same old." Daniel replied.

"You know when I was your age Daniel my father taught me how to grill what do you say we give it a try?"

"Do I have to?" Daniel whined then greeted by a look from his father. He knew the answer was yes even though he wasn't in the mood for "father son bonding".

"Look I even got you this apron to match mine."

Mr. Campbell held out a grilling apron that said "Grill Master Jr." to accompany his apron that said "Grill Master."

"Yeah dad matching grill aprons that's not embarrassing at all." Daniel said as he rolled his eyes.

"Oh shush up and help me." Daniel's father said ignoring his remarks handing Daniel a tray of raw steaks to take to grill outside.

"Gracie!"

All of a sudden I was greeted by Daniel's siblings who were twins Saxon and Sophie.

"Gremlins!" I yelled my nickname for them and I picked them both up in a hug.

"Are you staying for dinner?" Sophie asked.

"Well you know Daniel's cooking so I'm not so sure anymore." I joked

"Daniel's cooking?" Saxon asked. "Well I've lived a good three years."

I laughed at Saxons witty yet funny joke. Daniel defined wasn't the best cook. I remember me and him were left home alone and he was convinced that he could make Mac and Cheese and well let's just say the fire department had to show up.

"Would you like any more steak Grace?" Mrs. Campbell asked me.

"I think I'm good but thank you for the dinner."

"Oh you don't have to say thank you Grace after all you're like family. You know you're more than welcomed to come over for dinner any time."

"My mom would kill me if I didn't say thank you."

"I was just speaking to her a little while ago it looks like she might be running a little late I guess she got busy at the hospital".

"Okay".

"More time for me to beat you at Mario Kart." Daniel said

"In you're dreams." I smiled as I rolled me eyes knowing that Daniel could never beat me.

Me and Daniel ended up playing Mario Kart for hours until we ended up falling asleep in the game room on bean bag chairs. Little did I know that life as a I know it would never be the same.

___

Hey guys! Thank you so much for checking out the first part to my book Stark Life, I really want to give my first book attention to detail and really develop the story arch. I'm going to try and post daily as I am really invested into this book. If you have any questions comments or suggestions please feel free to leave them here in a comment. This book will loosely follow some events of the Marvel Movies but I really want this to be a book and story of its own!