Guidance

It was the next day. It was the afternoon, Dad was out at some meeting and Pepper was in DC. I got my things and got in my car and drove to Central Park.

When I got to the park I was sitting in a bench looking over the people walking around. I kept thinking of how happy all these people were, care free without a worry in the world. I missed that.
I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe and just let the anxiety flowing through my body through my exhale.

"You seem stressed." I jumped a bit in my chair until I recognized the voice. "And jittery."

"Nat! You made it, I really missed you." I said bringing her into a big bear hug.

"Hey kid, I missed you too." She said holding me tight.

"How have you been? You dyed your hair blonde it suits you so well."

"You're not looking too shabby yourself. I see your growing up nice. I wish I could see you more often but you know."

"Is Ross still looking for you guys after that whole fiasco in Germany?"

"Yeah he's got guys all over the world. Lucky for me I was trained to handle this stuff exact type of thing."

"I've given dad a hard time for how everything unfolded. You guys shouldn't have to deal with this BS."

"And that's why you were always my favorite Stark. So what's up? Everything okay? Your call yesterday sounded like something was wrong."

"I don't know. I feel like it's all in my head but I just can't shake this away."

"Wanna start by telling me what happened."

"Well I dad took us on a trip to Mexico and he let me invite some of my friends and everything was going great. On the last night we were there me and a friend went to grab dinner and we got jumped by a some a big group of guys in black masks with guns. Maybe a cartel, a syndicate, I don't know. I don't know how but they knew who I was. They knew I was a Stark. They tried taking me and before I knew it everything was a blur and I blacked out."

"Grace......"

"Nothing too bad happened thanks to my friend. They got us out of there and they brought me back to the house where I only had a minor concussion."

Nat grabbed my hand.

"Now wherever I go I just feel scared, I feel vulnerable. All my life I've gotten to live in the peace and security that I didn't have to worry about the consequences of who my dad was. I hate feeling the way I do. It's like-"

"Like a part of you was taken away?" Nat asked looking at me.

I nodded.

"Did I ever tell you the story from the day I left home?"

I shook my head.

"My parents were Russian. I grew up with a bit of a smaller fuse that most. Always getting into fights, deciding to handle things with my fists rather than with words. One day everything all of a sudden changed and I was turned over to the widows. It's like a part of me, my childhood, my love for the world was taken stripped from me and was just left to be forgotten. I was forced to do the one thing I was good at- to fight. I had to learn how to adapt, I had to learn to survive I had to learn how to be a spy. They made me into someone I wasn't proud of: a killer, a monster."

"But you're an Avenger." I looked up at her.

"I wasn't then. To be quite fair I don't feel like one now. But those are just labels Grace, they don't change who you are. Life and circumstances do. Grace what happened you need to accept what happened and learn how to adapt, how to survive. You need to learn from this and grow as a person, that's the only way you'll be able to move on.

"It feels like everywhere I go I'm no longer safe. If they knew who I was, what makes me think that someone else doesn't know the same."

"It's going to feel that way and it sucks but you can't let what could've happened cloud your mine or else you'll never be able to move on. Vulnerability is our greatest weakness but it can also be our greatest strength."

"How?"

"By owning it."

"What?"

"Own your biggest vulnerability. You've been living in secret for 16 years. Your biggest vulnerability has always been hiding from your true identity. You are Grace Stark. Maybe it's time the world knew."

"Wouldn't that just put me in more danger?"

"Secrets are dangerous. Having your identity be a secret only puts you at more risk. You show the world you have a lot to lose."

"Isn't it the other way around? Wouldn't me opening myself up to the world show I have a lot to lose?"

"When you stand proud, they'll see you're willing to stand up and fight and won't let anyone take anything from you. Take the first step. Then go from there. You'll never know what your missing out on. Besides you have me, you have the guys, you have Pepper and your Dad."

"They're engaged now.

"Ha! I knew it! Barton owes me 30 bucks."

I chuckled.

"Anyone who touches you knows not only your father would go after you but the rest of us. Remember Grace we're your family too and you can always count on us. Isn't that why I'm here right now?"

"Yeah."

"Besides I'm pretty sure having an Avenger as a boyfriend is an extra plus in security."

"What?"

"Happy spilled the beans the last time I saw you."

"Happy is just messing with you there's nothing going on with me and Peter."

"Really? Then why is he watching us?"

"What do you mean?"

Nat pointed up and I saw Peter in his Spider-Man  suit on top of a small building that faced us looking into our area of the park.

"What?"

"He hasn't taken his eye off you even before I got here. I don't think you ever have to worry about what ifs. You have people around you that obviously care about you, that love you, that are here for you. I have faith that you will come out of this stronger than you've ever been. I'm proud of you and trust me when I tell you that everything will turn out okay."

"Thanks Nat."

"Anytime you need me or just want to talk, call me." She said pulling me into a hug.

"I wish you could be around longer. Your hugs make everything better."

"Here." She said taking off her black leather jacket. "Something for you to always know I'm always by your side. You got this."

"Thanks Nat, I'll take good care for it."

"You better." She said smiling walking back.

With that Nat disappeared into the crowd of people. I looked over to the building to see if Peter was still there and he was. I smiled and waved to him and he waved back and swung away.