Tough Times

There I was waiting in the cafe. I guess I got there before MJ but in her defense I was practically 10 minutes away. Every minute that I waited inside the coffee shop it felt like everyone's eyes were on me. I know they weren't but it just felt like that. It felt claustrophobic. I hated feeling this way. The whole purpose of me living with my dad under a different last name was so that I never felt like this. So I never felt vulnerable. It felt like a piece of myself was stripped away that night.

That night

As I got lost in my thoughts I felt someone sit down in front of me. I felt startled until I realized it was MJ.

"Hey Grace, what's up."

"Oh hey MJ. Sorry I got lost in my thoughts for a second."

"Don't worry about it. Want to order something I'm starving."

"Sure. I love their chicken and waffles here they make the waffles all fluffy."

"Can't I'm not a waffle person."

"What?! You offend me with that comment M."

"I just can't get over my trypophobia. Like I don't mind other people eating them but I just physically can't." MJ said making a weird face.

I gave her a slight chuckle. "Well then I can respect that."

The waiter came over and took our order and after a few minutes of small talk we got our food.

"You know Grace, you can talk to me about it. You don't have to deal with whatever your facing alone. I want you to know that."

"I know and I appreciate it, but I just don't think I'm ready to talk about it just yet."

"Well when you are, I'll always be here for you."

"Thanks MJ, just know I'm here for you too."

As we were finished eating we were making our way out the cafe when I bumped into someone at the door as I was about to trip the person caught me. I looked up to see Peter.

"Grace?"

"Peter. Hi."

"Are you okay? I didn't hurt you did I?"

"No- no not at all I think you caught me at the right moment. Thanks."

"Yeah no worries. It's been a minute, you know I've tried checking in on you and I know you said you needed space and I want to fully respect that but I also want to let you know that I'm here for you. You know that right?"

"I know Peter and I want you know that I appreciate it but I just need some space."

He looked down at me and sighed. He pulled me in for a hug and rested his chin on my shoulder. "You don't have to face this alone." He whispered

"I'll see you later Peter." I said breaking away from the hug. 

As I said goodbye to MJ I went over to my car and got inside. I opened my glove compartment and pulled it out to reveal a phone I had taped to the side hidden away.

I decided there was only one person that I could talk to that could maybe understand what I am going through.

I flipped open the phone and dialed the number.

"Hello?" The voice said on the line.

"It's me. I know you're trying to keep a low profile but can we please meet. I'm uh going through something and I don't know who else to talk to about it."

"I'll be there tomorrow."

As I hung up my phone I put my car in drive and made my way back to the house.