Lousy Father

[TONY'S POV]

Grace got released from the Hospital, the house was a mess and I knew I couldn't take her back there so I rented a hotel for us until they fix the house. We were in the suite and Grace convinced Pepper to watch a movie with her.

I walked in and saw them both lying on the king size bed, Pepper working on emails and Grace snacking on some goodies. I smiled.

"Hey I'm just going to head to the house and pick up a few things."

"Okay daddy!" Grace said with a smile.

___

(At the house)

I got to the house and saw the mess left over from the previous night. I sighed.

"You know you can actually hire someone to help you clean around here." Fury said walking in the door.

"You really love making a dramatic entrance don't you?"

Fury walked over and sat down in the chair in a not so damaged area of the house. I sat next to him.

"What, you here to admire to the ocean?" I said sarcastically

"You know that thing in your chest is based on unfinished technology." He said ignoring my comment.

"No, it was finished. It has never been particularly effective until I miniaturised it and put it in my..."

"No. Howard said the arc reactor was the stepping stone to something greater. He was about to kick off an energy race that was gonna dwarf the arms race. He was on to something big, something so big that it was gonna make the nuclear reactor look like a triple-A battery."

"Just him, or Anton Vanko in on this too?"

"Anton Vanko is the other side of that coin. Anton saw it as a way to get rich. When your father found out, he had him deported. When the Russians found out he couldn't deliver they shipped his ass off to Siberia and he spent the next 20 years in a vodka-fuelled rage. Not quite the environment you want to raise a kid in, the son you had the misfortune of crossing paths with in Monaco."

"You told me I hadn't tried everything. What do you mean I haven't tried everything? What haven't I tried?"

"He said that you were the only person with the means and knowledge to finish what he started."

"He said that?" I said not believing that my father would even think highly of me.

"Are you that guy? Are you? 'Cause if you are, then you can solve the riddle of your heart."

"I don't know where you get your information, but he wasn't my biggest fan."

"What do you remember about your dad?"

"He was cold, he was calculating. He never told me he loved me. He never even told me he liked me, so it's a little tough for me to digest when you're telling me he said the whole future was riding on me and he's passing it down. I don't get that. You're talking about a guy who's happiest day was when he shipped me off to boarding school. Probably explains why I'm such a lousy father to Grace. Can't even keep her safe."

"That's not true." Fury said.

"Well, then, clearly you know me and my dad better than I do.."

"As a matter of fact, I did. He was one of the founding members of SHIELD."

"What?" I said confused.

"I got a two o'clock." Fury said as he stood up.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait. What's this?"

"Okay, you're good, right?"

"No, I'm not good."

"You got this? Right? Right?"

"Got what? I don't even know what I'm supposed to get."

"Natasha will remain a floater at Stark with her cover intact. You remember Agent Coulson, right?" Fury said as Agent Coulson and Natasha walked in with a big box.

"Yeah." I responded.

"You're not a lousy father by the way and Tony, remember, I got my eye on you." He said as Natasha walked away with him leaving the box.

"Please. First thing, I need a little bodywork. I'll put in a little time at the lab. If we could send one of your goon squad down to The Coffee Bean, Cross Creek, for a Starbucks run, or something like that, that'd be nice." I told Agent Coulson.

"I'm not here for that. I've been authorised by Director Fury to use any means necessary to keep you on premises unless to visit your daughter. If you attempt to leave elsewhere or play any games, I will tase you and watch Super-nanny while you drool into the carpet. Okay?"

"I think I got it, yeah."

"Enjoy your evening's entertainment." He said walking away.

I looked at the box and got to work.

____

Hey guys! Hope you are enjoying the story. This was a bit of a filler chapter from Iron Man 2 but I feel like it really helps connect Grace and Tony's relationship. This book is actually going to be a little long but I hope you guys are enjoying the ride. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions!

Yours Truly,

-August10Reader