CHAPTER 78: Another Strike

Justin's P.O.V

I was sitting on the roof of that primary school beside Bob's story building thinking about the events that had unfolded this afternoon.

I was pretty shocked that she already knew but seriously, what could I have expected? Her father must have told her a lie which she believed blindly.

But I'll be the greatest liar if I said that I didn't care about the fact that our relationship was wrecked beyond repair. It hurt so bad however, it had to end... for the greater good of both of us.

Sitting silently as the breeze whooshed past me, I saw Lisa from afar on her hoverboard. She approached me, got off her hoverboard, and sat right beside me.

"Hey," she greeted with a genial smile. I reciprocated

"Hi"

"I can see you're not yourself this night. What's wrong?"

"Nothing really, just Staci and I couldn't make up" I paused, deliberating on whether to tell her about Ana's dad or not. I couldn't.

"No worries...she'll get back to her senses soon," and we both chuckled. The night was perfect and beautiful though there weren't any luminous stars hanging. "Does she know we both have powers?" she inquired.

I stared at the lit-up city ahead of me for a second. "Yeah, But she wasn't surprised." Her eyes widened in question.

"She said she knew I was hiding something from her and I just wanted to cheat on her and kill her for no reason."

Lisa dissolved into laughter. "Why would anyone want to do that?" She asked after a minute of laughing.

"I have no idea. There was a big, obvious reason why she'll think I wanted to kill her. I just couldn't tell Lisa. It felt as if my tongue was tied or something.

"She must be watching a lot of James Bond movies for her to think that," and then we giggled again. To be honest, this side of Lisa was a lot more fun and interesting. When I checked my watch, I discovered it was a few minutes to 11.

"I'll like to go on a stroll," I said out of the blue.

"Would you mind if I came with you?"

"Umm... Kind of"

"Don't want us kissing in the woods anymore?" she teased, a smile dancing on her lips.

"No – I mean, yes" I shuttered. She grinned at me with eyes glimmering in satisfaction."

"It's just that you need to rest after all that happened yesterday."

She sensed that I was just looking for an excuse to be alone so she didn't go on probing.

"Oh, Okay," she said and shot up. "But work on your excuses – they suck." She whispered a bit loudly and zoomed off. She must've felt a bit hurt but what could I do? I jumped down from the building and in the mid-air, I ascended with great speed. I was in my blue and white pajamas meaning I wasn't really in quest of a battle. I just wanted freedom... peace – and flying gave me all that.

***********

Writer's P.O.V

Justin had a full meal at the south side. He and Lisa had now become such regular customers of that 24-hour eatery that the waiters could even predict their orders at times.

Even the bartender who worked at the counter where alcoholic drinks were sold, knew there was something different about the duo. They weren't scared of the variety of criminals that patronized Southside Corner in the dead of the night but why... That he couldn't answer.