The Man in the Picture

A/N: 😇

David was a tall muscular man, very masculine presenting. He and Brian met 7 years ago when he started working as my bodyguard and got married 3 years after that.

Obviously, he didn't work for me anymore. Still, whenever I had a small outing I usually invited him to come along to at least give me some sense of protection without drawing so much attention.

"I'll carry that," he says, taking out the toys and the new, smaller helmets I got for them so their little accident won't happen again. "So, Celia," he teases.

"What about Celia?" I laugh.

"Well, Brian told me that you agreed to date her because of what that asshole director said and I was totally against it but...." He sings. "You two seem to really be getting along." He nudged me as we walk up the stairs.

"Oh my god! You two are such gossips," I laugh.

"Well, is it true?" He cackles. I try to put on a poker face but that plan backfires when a blush arises on my cheeks. "I knew it! It's about time for you to start dating."

"Oh shut up," I roll my eyes playfully before ringing the doorbell.

It was a nice house in a nice neighborhood. A matching scooter to the one they left behind was resting beside their red door.

Behind the door, I could hear the boys scramble to open it.

"Mom! She's here!" They screamed, and finally managed to get the door open.

"Hey, guys!" I smile widely and they jump with excitement, "I've brought your stuff back, plus-" I hold my finger up for them to give me a second and pull out the new helmets.

"I call this one!" They both say in unison, each reaching for the opposite one. I bend down to help them get it on and it fits perfectly.

"Come we'll show you our room," they say, pulling me inside.

"Will your parents be okay with that?" I laugh, kids were much stronger than I remember.

"Mom's out back picking veggies from our garden, and dads in a meeting for a new job," one of them says, holding my hand and pressing his cheek to it.

I look over to David, trusting he knew what to do.

"Go ahead, I'll let her know we're here," he says pointing to the back door that was visible from the entrance. The woman was facing away from us in a large sun hat, bent over a nice wooden planter.

"Come on, I want to show you our action figures," they said, pulling me once again, this time up the stairs.

——————

"He's coming to the castle to save the princess but oh no! There's a dragon in the way," Tommy says with a deep voice. They had somehow convinced me to play with them, it honestly reminded me of how Rose loved to pretend but with them, I actually had the chance to play the princess.

"Oh my knight come save me," I say dramatically in a British accent.

jointly they attack a blow-up punching bag with foam swords.

"I've been hit," Billy says falling down to the floor, "princess you have to try to fight, I know you can do it," he says, tossing the toy in my direction.

I don't hesitate in joining Tommy in the slaying of the dragon, imitating slicing and gushing sounds as I do.

"We did it we defeat the dragon!" They cheer and run to me with open arms and tackle me to the ground. Thankfully I had already been sitting and the bump didn't hurt at all, it was nostalgic.