Apocalypse 1.2: Him

As we arrive at the center, we all go under a medical examination. The doctor frowns more than once as he asks me to cough and to breathe in and out. Next is the stamina exam and the endurance to pain. I've heard that the bites of the monsters are pretty painful. I don't know about that yet, but running on a treading mile for 20 minutes is sure painful. 

I vomit after stepping off and few of the girls are snickering at me.

"We will start the pain exam now." one of the doctor says "You will have ten level of pains. The last one is close to a clawing mark from a monster. The bite is worst and deadly. Don't forget that Monsters are usually poisonous beings." He continues "You will learn more about that in the North of course."

We all nod.

"I bet she won't even get level one." one of the girl snickers out loud "That first born bitch."

I sit on the chair and take the first shot. What strikes me is that I don't feel a thing, until the 6th shot. I don't feel a thing. Not a string of pain. The doctor are looking at me confused. I can see that some of the others girl have tapped out. At level 7, I do feel a pinch. But nothing that I would call painful.

"Level 8." The doctor frowns "You are the first female that lasted this far."

"Are you sure they are the good doses?" I ask seriously

"They are." He injects me the dose

Again, it's not something pleasant. But for me that's not pain. The doctor looks at me and frowns.

"Are you part of people who don't feel pain?" he questions

I shake my head.

"Alright, level 9."

All the girls are watching. Level 9 is stronger, but the pain is far from unbearable. It's like a bee sting. I look at the doctor who looks at me and blinks.

"I've inversed level 9 and level 10." He chokes out "You are resistant to pain." He says with an awkward smile

I am. Not voluntarily, but yes. Next is the interview. There are a few jobs that you can take when you are taken to one of the battlegrounds. The first one is officer, then you can up in grades according to the number of monster you've killed and how you manage to get on with the harsh training. The second one is everything relative to administration and surveillance: same training but half of the time is spent inside. You can also gain more importance by having your skills recognized by a supervisor. The last one is the least prized one. Nurses and cleaners.

"I think the last job is fitting to me the most." I said to the doctor

"Indeed." He sighs "Have you ever seen blood in your life?" he questions rhetorically "You'll just clean I guess..." he trails off

The trip to the North is long. And hellish. The other girls are persuaded I'm a Monster myself. So they bully me, make my food fall to the ground and make me fall 'unintentionally'. I never complained to the higher ups, because I'm pretty sure they are aware of their behavior but don't give a fuck.

The North Pole as the people here call it is managed by a 26 year old guy. He has short black hair, cut on point and his eyes are piercing. About 1 m 80, he does look handsome. The abandoned factory that makes the house for everyone working at this site, was renovated and is looking modern.

Everything is black and white. Or gray. It looks very...minimalistic.

"Here." One of the officer pushes me inside a bedroom "Dinner is at 7 pm sharp. Letters come in at 6.30" he adds "If you don't want to eat, it's for the others so don't bother."