Chapter 23

* Bryce Allen Payne!! ⬆️*

Ariella's pov

She walked over hesitantly, but as if they were long lost friends, they wrapped their arms around each other tightly. Momentarily, I was confused, until I remembered they had a reconciliation a few months ago while they presumed I was dead.

"They're adorable" Nicola cooed sitting on the edge of the bed. Ari smiled at the two newborns on her lap. "Really, they are" Nicola genuinely admitted.

"Thank you" Ariella replied gratefully. "You wanna hold one?" She asked. My instincts kicked in protectively and I stepped closer to the bed. It was unfortunate that I had to protect my own children from my sister, but we didn't exactly have the best relationship.

"Liam it's okay" Ari told me and I noticed Nicola look at the floor sheepishly. They must have a good reconciliation.

Ari gently placed Lacy in my sister's arms. I didn't back away, but I didn't feel as protective as I did before. Something about Nicola changed since I was in the hospital. Ari never really explained to me what was said when they made up. All she said was that they were fine and had moved passed everything.

"I can't believe you have twins" Nicola gushed

"I know" I giggled. Her expression seemed to change suddenly. She opened her mouth to say something, but closed it quickly.

"Tell me" I said and she giggled skating her head

"No it's personal... And stupid" she seemed flustered and I could tell by the blush in her cheeks she must be uncomfortable

"I don't mind, really" I assured her. She looked hesitant, but obliged.

"Since your only giving birth now-" she fumbled with her words "when-" she tried again "it seems like a short amount of time to be pregnant..." She kind of trailed off trying to avoid the blunt question she could've asked.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, how long have you been pregnant? Because between now and the warehouse doesn't seem like a long time to be pregnant... It's only like six or seven months"

At first I was puzzled by her question but then a light bulb went off in my head. I realized she she unaware of the fact that I was pregnant during the time of the warehouse. I can't even imagine the thoughts running through her head right now of how these babies are here.

"Nicola I didn't realize you didn't know!" I exclaimed "I was pregnant at the warehouse" I informed her.

The expression on her face resembled confusion and disbelief. She thought I was lying. Her mouth opened, but closed just as quickly.

"That's impossible" she almost laughed nervously. I shook my head letting her know she was incorrect.

"It's true, I found out a week before everything happened. I didn't expect her to make it after I was hurt... It seemed impossible but" I shrugged my shoulders and looked at Liam whose gaze was glued to his children. I smiled at the sight while Ruth turned to face him. He realized we were looking at him and finally spoke quietly.

"I never thought such a miracle could happen to me...one minute there's tears and war and the next there's a reunion in the hospital. It's crazy how something so small could bring people together.." He trailed off and we sat in silence.

A smile crept on my face knowing he wasn't just talking about our children, he was talking about me and Ruth.

*

"Yo yo yo Ariellaaaaa" Josh hollered as he barged into the room unexpectedly followed by Sandy, Jon and Dan with an armful of stuffed animals. Lottie walked in behind them, obviously not part of their group though.