Chapter 61

+ didn't realize Liam had been out for 18 chapters oh my gosh I'm sorry +

Liam's pov

"Lou I don't think you could drive any slower even if you wanted to" I blurted out. My leg was bouncing up and down anxiously from the backseat. Constantly, I kept straining my neck out the window to see how much longer it would take until we reached our destination.

"Yeah since when do you drive the speed limit?" Niall defended me from the passenger seat.

"I'm not taking any chances with an accident- especially since we just got Liam back" he replied, winking at me through the rear view mirror. I rolled my eyes and looked back out the window.

"Feel free to step on the gas pedal any time" Niall grumbled and leaned against the door. resting his cheek against his fist.

Their bickering was distant to me as I gazed out the window fantasizing about the future that was only minutes away. My stomach was churning with excitement- a nice change from the constant pain I had been experiencing the past few weeks.

The houses on my right were very familiar to me, and looking around I could tell we were close. I leaned back in the plush car seat and closed my eyes for a few moments.

"Few more blocks" Louis mumbled only loud enough for us to hear. My lips unconsciously tugged upwards into a small smile as I continued to sit there with my eyes closed.

Sooner or later I felt the car roll to a complete stop. My eyes opened and scanned over the familiar landscape- my house. As I opened the door and swung my legs outside the car, Niall grabbed my crutches from the trunk as Louis laid out a plan.

"I'll head in first just to make sure she's not busy, and I'll unlock the back door" he said as he slipped the car keys in his pocket. With a shrug he added, "you can come in in a sec."

"Why can't I just come in now?" I groaned as I positioned the crutches under my arms.

"Cuz-" he paused and held his finger up when his phone rang. "It's her" he mumbled and accepted the call. "Hello?" He answered. I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, but I got bits and pieces from Louis end, which went something like this,

"He's fine... Yes... I don't know... Stay there... Is she okay?... I'm out front... Ok, bye" then he hung up the phone. "She's having a rough day, but is glad to hear your awake" Louis informed us. "She's expecting me to walk through that door right now, but I think it should be you" he said motioning towards the door.

A smile broke out across my face at his suggestion. I nodded, too excited to talk, and began to crutch my way over to the door. "We'll be around back" Louis called as he and the lads walked across the lawn to the backyard. Trying the knob, I found it was unlocked, so I took my chance and entered the house.

Ari, here I come

Ariella's pov

"Lacey please" I begged my daughter to stop crying. She had been really fussy and fidgety without Liam around lately and it was starting to wear me out. Bryce was his usual self, and clung to my side most of the time- thankfully he cooperated and went down for his nap, unlike his sister who continued crying. "Daddy's gong to be home soon" I whispered and kissed her temple.

As soon as the words left my mouth I regretted them. There was no way of telling whether or not my statement was true, and I felt guilty lying to my daughter. As much as I wished it to be true, I was no fortune teller- would Liam ever come back to us?

I heard the front door open and close, signaling Louis was here. "I'm in the living room" I called out, but there was no response. I heard a squeaking sound against the wooden floor and some clanking that caught my attention.