Chapter 42

*read the chapter before this! I posted them at the same time!*

Ariellas pov

I rounded the corner, only to come face to face with disappointment- otherwise know as Karen. Her daughters were alongside her, but I didn't feel deep seated hatred against them anymore.

Nicola and I had made amends a long time ago, and Ruth and I were more recent, only a few months ago when the babies were born. Karen on the other hand was very persistent and refused to accept me as Liam's wife to be. Any time she was around, she did not hesitate in criticizing me or anything I did- tonight wouldn't be any different.

"Speak of the devil" Karen spat when she laid eyes on me.

"Mom!" Liam growled, outraged at her bold comment.

"Why are you here?" I asked irritatedly, ignoring her question.

"Because you're getting married!" She yelled at me.

"And..?" Liam question his mother.

"And I didn't get an invitation!" She shouted again, this time it wasn't directed at anyone specific. I flashed Liam a glance, because he told me he had mailed her invitation himself. By the guilty look on his face I could tell he felt bad about screwing up, or that I caught him in a lie.

"Mom you wouldn't have even came" Liam defended us, but mostly himself.

"And that's not your decision to make" she told her son. "You should at least invite your own mother to your wedding" she said, playing the guilt card.

"I don't want you there any more than you want to be there" he said to her. "And face it" he began before she could reply. "That's not why you're here tonight. You're here as a last attempt to get me out of this marriage" he said taking a step closer to her and folding his arms. "You never liked Ariella and you can't stand the fact that she will be with me for the rest of my life" he called her out on it. After a moment of uncomfortable silence, she spoke again.

"I just don't get it Liam" she began, pushing her way past him. "You could do so much better" she said eyeing me up and down. "I mean look at her" she said disgustedly. "That scar is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!" She exclaimed, staring at my mid section.

I felt the tears stinging in my eyes from both embarrassment and hurt, but I refused to give her the satisfaction of seeing me cry, so I sucked them back. Turning around, I made eye contact with Harry, and pointed to someone's shirt on the couch. With a simple nod, he tossed the large shirt to me so I could slide it over my body.

I heard Liam and Karen yelling as I slid it over my bikini, but I didn't even bother to listen since I'm sure it wouldn't make me feel any better.

"Now you just look like you've been sleeping around" Karen said rolling her eyes. "Which I'm sure you have been considering that girl doesn't look anything like Liam" she spat. My mouth parted slightly at the audacity she had to make this comment. I looked down and saw she was talking about Lacey who was sitting on the floor by my leg.

I hadn't even realized she was there until Karen said that. A small smile played across my lips as I bent down to pick my daughter up. I placed small kisses across her face and proceeded to hold her on my hip, slightly moving them back and forth to hopefully calm her to sleep. She laid her head on my chest and put her fingers in her mouth as her eyes lazily wandered the room.

Karen bent down to Lacey's height and I instinctively tightened my grip and took a step back.

"At least daddy will be here so you won't grow up in an unstable home like your mother" Karen muttered to Lacey. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Harry grab Louis's arm to hold hold him back from doing something stupid. Still, I hadn't said anything, because it was nothing I hadn't heard before. I just stared at the floor, knowing it would have to end at some point.