Chapter 70

One Direction @ New Years Eve in California with hostess, Fergie

Ari's pov

"All rise for the verdict" the bailiff sounded from the front of the courtroom. Liam and I stood simultaneously and I laced my fingers with his, trying to calm my heightened nerves. My heart pounded against my chest so rapidly that I began to feel lightheaded.

"We the jury find Courtney, Ryan and James Johnson, innocent of all charges" the juror  announced. My hand slipped from Liam's and my lips parted in disbelief. Did I hear him correctly?

"What?" I breathed, looking up at Liam. He had the same awestruck expression as I did. Turning my attention back to Courtney, I saw her holding Bryce on her hip, cradling his chest.

"Hey you can't-"

"Can the prosecution please call your next witness?" The judge asked, snapping me out of my daydreams. Louis stepped down from the witness chair after giving his statement. My stomach flipped and churned with nerves knowing that I was next in line. All morning I had felt this way, from the minute I woke up. I played with my fingers in my lap, anxiously looking up at the judge with straight fear coating my eyes.

"We'd like to call Ariella O'Riley to the stand" Charlotte announced, standing from her seat. I quickly turned to Liam and thought I was going to cry because I was so nervous. He squeezed my hand gently and swiftly kissed my temple.

"Just look at us when you get nervous" he whispered, bouncing Bryce on his knee. Looking at my son made me feel slightly better. His innocence reminded me that after today we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. I breathed in a small quick breath and stood to my feet. Charlotte nodded confidently at me as I walked up to the stand.

The bailiff a approached me and asked me to place my left hand on the bible and raise my right hand. "Do you solemnly swear that the testimony you shall give before this court shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?" He asked staring me in the eye.

Nodding, I gave my short response. "I do"

"Please be seated" he instructed. I took my seat behind me and crossed my right leg over my left one. I folded my hands in my lap and anxiously played with the engagement ring on my finger.

Charlotte took a few steps forward and casually placed the front of the court room, looking as confident and as composed as ever- like she ran this place. Seeing her so relaxed helped me calm down a little.

"Just pretend it's you and me up there" she had once instructed me. Recalling these orders, I focused in on her and attempted to block out the death glares from Courtney, and the repelling winks Ryan kept sending me that made me even more sick.

"Hi Ari," Charlotte started up casually with her gleaming and comforting smile. I smiled back at her and muttered a small "hello" back to her.

"So tell me," she started, "how long has Courtney and her friends been stalking your family?" She asked.

"Almost two years" I replied shakily.

"Can you recall why she took upon this actions?" She asked me. This question sounded familiar to me because I remember rehearsing it a thousand times. I was supposed to begin my answer with, "she said..." Which would lead to what is called a hearsay objection. Charlotte told me that we aren't allowed to begin an answer that way because it was a court law. However, this would give us a chance to submit the video of Courtney's confessions into evidence.

"Well she said," I began, but as expected the other lawyer objected to my response.

"Ms could you rephrase your answer?" The judge asked me. I turned the Charlotte who already had a subtle smirk in her phase.