thirty

Y/n stood inside the Byers house, watching Dustin take everything out of the fridge. He wanted to put the Demo-dog inside, to preserve it. But with all the food and extra shelves, it wouldn't fit.

"All right." Dustin sighed looking at Steve "It should fit now."

Y/n then looked over at Steve, who was holding the dead dog wrapped in a blanket. He had a tired, and very defeated look on his face. And Y/n could tell he was context his lifes choices at this point.

"Is this really necessary?" Steve asked staring at Dustin.

"Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery." Dustin said "We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog." He stressed.

"Dust, you literally call it a Demo-dog." Y/n pointed out.

Dustin looked over at Y/n "I-thats not the point!" He exclaimed, "Steve, shove it in the fridge!" He shouted pointing to the empty fridge.

"All right, all right, all right." Steve grumbled shuffling to the fridge, "But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, all right?"

Steve slammed the dog in the fridge, but it still wouldn't fit "Christ. Help me out?" He asked.

"Hey, Y/n?"

The teen looked back, seeing a nervous Mike "Yeah?" She asked hesitantly.

"Can I talk to you privately please?" Mike asked.

Y/n nodded "Yeah, sure." She said stepping away from Dustin and Steve. Lucas and Max were cleaning up the glass, from when El broke the window. So the two walked down the hall, Y/n stopped and look back "Whats up?"

"I'm sorry, for how I reacted earlier." Mike mumbled looking "I was just angry, and upset."

"It's fine Mike, I understand." Y/n said waving her hand "But honest to god, I couldn't say anything. I wanted to so bad, especially after that day I found you crying in the basement." She ranted, "I felt so guilty, but I didn't have a choice. We didn't have a choice."

Mike nodded "I know, it was the safest option for her. For everyone." He said.

"She really wanted to see you Mike." Y/n said smiling "She missed you so much, she missed everyone."

Mike crossed his arms "I'm scared Y/n." He mumbled "What if we lose her again, for good this time." He wondered, "I don't wanna lose her again."

"Mike, she'll be okay I promise. My dad won't let anything happen to her." Y/n promised.

Mike sighed, and walked to the kitchen "That lab is swarming with hundreds of thoes dogs." He said.

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin shouted from the other room.

"The chief will tske care of her." Lucas said joining in on the conversation.

"Lucas is right." Y/n said stopping next to Mike.

"Like she needs protection." Max mumbled.

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" Steve said joining the conversation, and wiping his hands with a towel.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game." Mike said in a sassed tone.

Y/n laughed "Took the words right outta my mouth." She grinned.

"And second, we're not even in the gane. We're on the bench." Mike pointed out.

"Right-so-so my point is...." Steve paused, and everyone looked at him waiting for an answer.