Chapter 84

KENEISHA LOUNGES IN HER panties and bra with her eyes fixed on her wall-mounted TV as the call comes through. She lets the phone ring while deciding whether to answer a withheld number.

She feels depressed and does not want to talk to anyone, especially someone she may not know. The drug dealer, Godfrey, whom she chose over Eschewal, had told her when they first met that he had a wife and he was not going to leave her. Keneisha had hoped that she could convince him otherwise. After more than a year, she has given up.

The phone stops ringing, then seconds later, it rings again. Keneisha answers, "Yeah, hello," she says while rolling into the S position. Her face shows puzzlement. "Who?"

Deuce repeats, "It's Mark. I met you a couple of months back, and you gave me your number."

She smiles and wonders if it is Godfrey playing games. She acts the fool and plays along. "Where did you meet me?"

Deuce keeps his cool and replies, "I'm sure I met you at a rave somewhere, but I can't remember what rave."

She laughs. "But I hardly ever rave. The last rave I went to was about a year ago, so I don't know where you would have seen me to get my number." She waits for Deuce's reply: she does not get one. "So you say your name is Mark? Are you sure your name is Mark? Do you happen to know a Godfrey?"

"Nah, babes. I don't know a Godfrey." Deuce decides to be blunt with Keneisha. "Look, at the end of the day, I got your number, and it's no biggie to come link me, and if you don't like what you see, then you can blow. So what you saying?"

Keneisha smiles. She feels like going on a mini adventure to relieve some of her depression. "Okay, MARK! Text me your number. Then I'll text you where to meet me."

Deuce licks his lips. "Alright, cool," then ends the call.