What happened

The Isle never lost its dark enchantment. Maybe, it was because it was created on top of the castle of the world's worst villain or simply because of the fact that not a ray of sunshine ever entered through the barrier. However, as unbelievable as it may appear, the land that lay on the other side of the ocean was no different either, since, the new ruler of the kingdom of goodness was not the biggest existing fan of sunlight and the only thing she always liked and admired about her old home was how dark it was.

The funny thing was that in the midst of all the sadness that the Isle of the Lost carried and the fear already installed since its creation, two people were truly managing to smile and be happy.

"Do you have to go?"

The eighteen-year-old man spoke almost in supplication.

"Yes, you know I do." She answered, putting her hair up in a ponytail. "Take my jacket, please."

"It's not completely clean." He answered, taking her clothes, which were still wet from yesterday's water fight. "You shouldn't have gotten into that fight, Mal."

"They shouldn't have pushed you."

She justified herself with regard to the push they had given her boyfriend the day before. It was a little push that resulted in her getting into a fight with three people.

"Mal, they were children."

"No, they weren't, that's your excuse, just like all the others."

It wasn't the first time he had been pushed or beaten for no apparent reason.

"But nothing justifies fighting, Mal."

He tried to explain.

"But, they mistreat you."

"They have their reasons."

One more piece of information about all the times Ben was hurt walking in the streets. All of them were not done by the people born on the Isle. The kicks, pushes and punches he had earned came from his people.

"If their reason is valid for beating you, mine is also valid for throwing good punches at them."

"Mal..."

"No, I'm not getting into that fight again, Ben."

She kissed his cheek and left the house.

Nothing Mal said would change anything, he still thought he was to blame for his people being stuck on the Isle.

(...)

Six months ago

"It's over, Ruby is trapped and the Book is safe."

Cedric happily and gratefully kept kissing the cover of the book.

Now he, Rashid, Merlin, Ben and Mal were together as if this was the celebration of a happy ending.

"And the how Book is?"

Rashid inquired tired from all he had done.

"It will rest now, several pages have been torn out and though the story has gone the right way." He looked at Ben and Mal hugging. "It didn't go as planned."

"What do you mean? Are you going to erase everything?"

Ben asked worriedly.

"I can't say anything, guys, I'm sorry. But, I can assure you, everything will turn out fine."

"So, for now nothing will be written down?"

"I don't know and I can't say friends."

As guardian he had done and spoken more than he should and now needed to return to the silence required to care for the book.