75.- Take A Right Into Telenovela-land

Ep

Ep. 7 "Down The Mississippi" Ch. 6/8

•——— ——— —•——

In the morning, Joy was, for a lack of a better word, a walking zombie.

She hadn't slept pretty well, even after using 10K as a pillow, mattress, and blanket. She missed her pack with her blanket that was probably drowning at the bottom of the Mississippi.

And because of such a horrible sleep, Joy was not in the mood to handle Sketchy's ramblings and ended up koala style on 10K's back, even managed to fall asleep for a decent while.

"J.F.K." Joy groaned, hiding her face further into 10K's neck just so she could avoid waking up for a little longer.

"C'mon we're leaving!"

"Good, let them leave." Yet, Joy didn't seem to agree with 10K as he suddenly dropped his grip on her calves, forcing her to wake up and stand on her own whether she liked it or not.

Don't ask her how, when, where, or why. But Sketchy and Skeezy were inside some dentist's truck, and apparently Joy and 10K were joining them inside by the way he kept tugging at her arm to get her to move.

"No quiero ir." Joy, like the stubborn child she had the mental age of, pouted and rooted herself against the ground to stop 10K from moving.

"It'll beat walking." 10K had a point, but that didn't mean Joy had to like it.

"Fine. But I want a window, and I'm using you as a pillow." 10K shrugged, which Joy took as agreement before settling inside the dentist's van, curling into his side again.

Oh, how Joy loved sleeping.

•——— ——— —•——

Halfway through their trip, Joy was woken up by screeching that she thought were tires, but in fact had been Sketchy and Skeezy laughing, and from that moment on she couldn't go back to sleep.

She was currently running on about five hours of sleep, which who wasn't at that point in the apocalypse? But that exact sleep deprivation made Joy question whether the men in the middle of the street waving them over were a hallucination or not.

But by the way, Sketchy did stop the van and force them all out, Joy came to the conclusion they were indeed real.

"Well, we thought you mighta run into some trouble." Some man broke Joy's groggy thoughts.

A rule Joy had learnt was never trust a man in a clean suit in the apocalypse, much less when the man looked relatively innocent and the suit was a baby blue that didn't suit him at all. Yet there she was, standing right in front of him smushed between Sketchy and 10K's shoulders.

Sketchy shrugged. "Just the usual."

"Usually, you're right on time. But don't matter. Uh, Swenson, get these old boys a drink. I don't think we've met. It's usually the other two." Sketchy waved suit man off with his businessman grin.