CHAPTER 27

"Lia!" I hear Adelyn screech as I exit the plane. I laugh and sprint towards her, tackling her into a hug as she wraps her arms tightly around me.

"I missed you," I mumble, burying my face in her neck as she starts crying. "Are you crying?" I tease, pulling back to look at my now sobbing cousin.

"It's not me it's the baby," she sniffs, patting her stomach as Luca laughs. I don't look at him and keep my eyes glued on Adelyn. Luca probably hates me after leaving Carlos again.

I gasp as Auntie Fleur hugs me, squashing me as I laugh and hug her back.

I miss when it was just me, Mama, Adelyn and Fleur.

"We're staying at the De Santis' estate," Auntie Fleur says warmly, throwing an arm around my shoulder as I loop an arm around Adelyn's waist.

I hear Mama arguing with Luca about who's job it is to carry out luggage and I roll my eyes as we walk to the car.

"I'm going with Fleur, we're going to make a few stops chérie," Mama says quietly, kissing my cheek before departing with her sister, arms looped together as they talk together in French.

"Looks like you're third wheeling," Adel laughs, throwing her head back as she takes my hand and leads me to the car.

I roll my eyes as I sit in the back, waiting for Luca to do his ritual of opening Adelyn's door before walking around and getting in himself.

"I'm surprised you didn't bring Carlos back with you," Luca says, his tone even, making it impossible to know what he thinks of the situation.

I shrug, "Not gonna work out," I say simply, causing Adelyn and Luca to exchange a look before she dramatically whips her head around.

"Like ever?" she asks, her eyes filling with sadness. "Nope," I shake my head, praying to the pregnancy gods that she doesn't start crying.

She frowns at me, "On en parlera plus tard," she says, winking at me as I nod.
[we'll talk about it later]

Luca raises an eyebrow at Adelyn and she simply shakes her head, leaving me a pit of guilt forming in my stomach.

"I think I should've bought Carlos, or just stayed," I say, looking at my cousin for help as she looks sadly at me. "Are you sure it's over forever?" she asks gently, and I bite my lip as I remember what I said.

How I told Carlos lie after lie just to protect myself. How I broke his heart just to keep mine intact, to keep myself safe. How now he probably believes that he was 'another one of my men' as he called them. How I pushed away the one person I felt safe with.

"Yeah," I say, looking at her sheepishly, "Je serais inquiet pour lui s'il revenait vers moi après ce que j'ai dit," I confess, causing her to chuckle.
[I would be concerned for him if he came back to me after what I said]

"Qu'est-ce que tu as dit?" she asks, her eyes suddenly widening when she processes my words.
[What did you say?]

"Que je ne voulais pas comprendre les choses et que c'était pour le mieux," I say sheepishly, wincing as she grimaces.
[That I didn't want to figure things out and this was for the best]

"Lia that's bad," she breathes out, causing her husband to widen his eyes, "Tu dois t'excuser," she says in a matter-of-fact tone.
[You need to apologise]

"À quoi ça sert si nous ne nous reverrons plus jamais ? Je lui ai dit qu'il était préférable que nous restions en dehors de la vie des uns et des autres," I say bitterly, hating myself for this stubbornness.
[What's the point if we're never going to see each other again? I told him it was best if we stay out of each others lives]

"Well that's just impossible isn't it, you're gonna have to see each other," Adelyn snorts, quickly apologising when she realised she switched back to English.

"Je vais trouver quelque chose," I sigh, leaning back in my seat, trying to signal that I don't want to talk about this anymore.
[I'll figure something out]

Adelyn nods and turns back around, dismissing Luca with a wave of her hand when he opens his mouth; no doubt to ask what that was all about.

The rest of the drive is silent, giving my mind time to wander.

I regret leaving. It was selfish and doesn't even benefit me, so I'm not sure if selfish is the right word.

Carlos had become a constant in my life, I could always trust him, with everything. He helped me in too many ways to count, and I fucking left.

It's no one's fault but mine, and I know that. He said he wanted to work things out, but did that mean he wanted to go further? Deep down I want that, and I don't know why I'm still scared to. I don't understand why the thought of actually being with Carlos scares me. I know he wouldn't hurt me.

But that's what Mama thought about my Father...

I bite my tongue when I feel tears threaten to spill, suddenly wanting nothing more than to be with Carlos.

I know what Carlos thinks I'm going to do now that I'm away, and somehow that makes it hurt more. As if he's solidifying what my Father has been saying for so long. That I'm just a cheap slut who would have sex with anyone.

My Father never bothered to understand why I acted the way I did when I was a teenager. Although I regret it, he never bothered to wonder that maybe his abuse had a role in it. That it made me sexualise myself in ways no teenager should, and that it left me wanting to be touched by hands which weren't his.

I admit that I did use the hookups back then as distractions, but not Carlos. Never Carlos. I care too deeply for him to use him, and I don't think he understands that. But then again, I never told him that so it would make sense for him to believe he was just a distraction for me.

I let myself fall for Carlos and it scared me, but there's no reason for it to.

"Adelyn, Je retourne à Carlos après mon séjour," I say quietly, causing her to smile.
[I'm going back to Carlos after my stay]

"Bien," she says, her eyes shining at me as I smile at her.

I let out a sigh and lean back into my seat, watching the familiar French houses as we pass them, a sense of peace washing over me.

I know Carlos shouldn't accept my apology, let alone give me another chance, but it can't hurt to try? Right?

It can't hurt to try, for I am his, and he is mine.

//

Do we call this character development in Ophelia?

Next chapter will be out tomorrow, so until then, have a good day/night and don't forget to vote!!

Abi <3