CHAPTER 57

Carlos presses a gentle kiss onto my forehead, his arms wrapped tightly around me as I rest my head on his chest.

"I'm sorry," I whisper,

"For what my Fia?" Carlos asks, furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"I haven't been a very good girlfriend recently," I say, feeling the need to apologise again,

"You're allowed to mourn Fia," he says gently, sitting up as he pulls me onto his lap.

"Aren't I getting too heavy?" I chuckle, making Carlos scoff.

"My Fia, you'll be nine months pregnant and I'll still pull you onto my lap," his eyes soften as I smile at him.

It's been a month since Mama died, her funeral is next week and we still haven't told anyone I'm pregnant.

It feels wrong to tell people when they're grieving, and Carlos said that we'll tell people when I feel comfortable to.

I've only been wearing baggy clothes so I can hide my small bump, and luckily no one's found it funny that I'm much more lethargic than usual.

Although to be fair, everyone's seemed to be more lethargic than usual. It's just us and Luca and Adelyn staying here at the moment, with Val and Fleur coming over a few nights a week for a family dinner.

I let out a small chuckle as Carlos slips his hand under my jumper and rests it on my stomach, looking adoringly at it.

"It's gonna be a girl, I can feel it," he says in a matter-of-fact voice.

I hum in response, "That'd be nice," I sigh, resting my hand on his.

"You up for the funeral next week?" he asks gently, pressing a kiss onto my forehead.

I hum, "I don't want to be sad all the time, Mama said she wanted me to be happy, I just," I let out a sigh, "I don't know," I mutter.

"You're allowed to be sad," Carlos whispers,

"After the funeral, don't let me be sad all the time, we can start planning for the baby like Mama would've wanted," I say, looking at Carlos as he smiles at me.

"I promised her I wouldn't let you stay sad, and I still need to keep that promise," he says, making the corners of my lips tilt up.

"I'm glad you were there with her," I say, finding some comfort that she wasn't alone.

"I'm glad I was there too," he confesses.

I smile as I lift my jumper up, looking at the growing bump.

"Should we find out the gender before it's born or keep it a surprise?" I ask, looking at Carlos as his eyes light up with excitement.

"We need to find out before so we can buy cute clothes," he says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"And we need to pick out a name," I add, feeling genuinely happy for the first time in a month.

"Ok suggestions," Carlos says seriously, sitting up straight as I look at him.

I open my mouth to say something but I can't think of any, "We need to make a list, and make sure that none clash with Adelyn and Luca," I say, Carlos nodding along.

"I'm sure we'll think of some," Carlos says, "I honestly thought they'd just come to me," he sounds disappointed and I laugh.

"It's a big responsibility!" he says, "You're naming a human being!"

"I know it is," I laugh, "We can't fuck it up,"

"What if we just fuck the kid over and call them Ted or Berlinda," Carlos laughs, making me clutch my stomach as I laugh along with him.