CHAPTER 55

My eyes open as numbness from last night sinks in.

Mama's gone.

She's dead.

I sit up and realise I'm in bed, Carlos stirring beside me.

"Why did you bring me here?" I whisper, "I needed to wait for Mama to get up,"

His eyes soften as he sits up, pulling me onto his lap.

"I had to get you out of there, it wasn't safe," he murmurs, cupping my face with his hands.

"But I was waiting for Mama to get up," I say, my voice breaking as fresh tears run down my face.

"I know Fia," Carlos whispers, hugging me tightly, no longer telling me she's never getting up again.

"Why did you take me away," I sob, "I was waiting for her,"

I push myself away from him as his eyes widen, "You should've left me," I choke out, shaking my head.

"Why did you bring me back here?" I shout, "Why did you take me away from her?" my voice is a strangled sob as my body shakes.

"I'm sorry Fia," is all he says, defeat flooding his eyes, "I'm so sorry mi amor,"

I shake my head again, tears streaming down my face, "Why did you take me away from Mama?" I ask in a weak voice.

He doesn't say anything as he reaches over to me and pulls me into his lap again, hugging me tightly.

"Let me go," I sob, pummelling my fists on his chest, "I need to go back to Mama,"

"Be angry at me Fia. Fight me if you must. Hate me as much as you want, but you'll do it here in my arms," he says, tightening his grip around me as my head falls to his chest.

"I was waiting for her," I cry, my body shaking as I cling onto Carlos' hoodie, exhaustion washing over me.

"I know Fia," he says softly,

"You broke your promise," I say in a small voice, looking up at Carlos as I watch his heart break.

"I know," his voice is barely audible,

"You broke your promise," I repeat, my voice breaking as I cry again, fisting Carlos' hoodie as I cry.

His shoulders shake as a tear drops onto my forehead, looking up as I see tears swimming in his eyes.

I wrap my arms around his neck as he cries, his arms tight around my waist as I bury my face in the crook of his neck.

"I'm so fucking sorry Fia," he says, tears running down his face as I wipe them away with my thumb.

"It's not your fault," I manage to get out, wiping my nose.

"I told her that you're pregnant," he whispers, his eyes clouding over in guilt.

Somehow this makes me cry harder, knowing that Mama will never get to meet our baby.

"She was so happy," he says, my sobs ripping through my throat.

"She's not here to help me," I choke out, clinging to Carlos as if I'm scared he's going to leave me too.

"Ophelia," Carlos says softly, his hands on either side of my face as he looks at me, "I am going to be with you every step of the way. I know I can't help you in the ways she could, but I promise you I'll be here,"

I try to smile at him as he wipes a tear away with his thumb.

"I'm so scared Carlos," I whisper, my eyes wide as grief is replaced with fear.

"I know Fia, but you have me, and you have Adelyn and Fleur," he says gently, pressing a kiss onto my forehead as my eyes flutter shut.

My eyes squeeze shut as more tears roll down my cheeks, still unable to accept the fact that she's gone.

Mama's gone.

She can't help me with this. She can't give me advice anymore. She can't give me a motherly hug anymore.

She's gone.

"What if we had got there sooner? If I hadn't have panicked and taken too long to get ready?" I ask, "She could still be here,"

"Don't do that Fia," Carlos pleads, "It's not your fault,"

"I should've been there sooner," I cry, Carlos' arms tightening around me.

"We did everything we could," he says, "It's not your fault Fia,"

"But I feel like it is," I whisper, not daring to look at Carlos.

"Please don't do this to yourself Fia," his tone begging me.

My shoulders shake as I cry harder, my head beginning to hurt.

"There's only one person responsible for this and it's not you, I promise it's not you," Carlos says, lifting his knees up as I fall deeper into his lap.

I wrap my arms around myself as I think of what Claude said to me.

How he called Mama a bitch, called her weak.

"I want him gone," I whisper,

"Luca's men took him to the basement, he's waiting there until you decide what you want to do with him," Carlos says quietly.

"I want him to suffer the way he made Mama suffer," I say,

I look up at Carlos, "I don't want our baby to live in a world where he's still here,"

"I won't let that happen," Carlos says firmly.

I take a deep breath and lean up, wrapping my arms around Carlos' neck, "Will you come with me?" I ask, already knowing that there's no way in hell that Carlos would let me go down there alone.

"Try stopping me," he murmurs, kissing my cheek as he gets off the bed, placing me on the ground as I lean against him.

I slide back into my boots and quickly redo my hair, getting rid of the nerves.

I wipe my eyes once more as Carlos wraps an arm around me, pulling me close to him as he pushes open our bedroom door.

The house is silent as we walk through it, the guards all looking down as we walk downstairs further to the corridors lined with doors, most of them empty.

I suck in a sharp breath as we reach a heavily guarded door, men lining both sides of the hallway.

"I'm right here Fia," Carlos whispers, kissing my temple as one of the guards opens the door.

I stand up straight as we walk into the room, Claude leaning against the back wall, his wrists chained to the wall.

He looks up as he sees us, his eyes glistening with hate.

Fuck.

//

I decided to dedicate the whole next chapter to torturing Claude 🤭

I'll post the next chapter in the next hour,

Abi <3