CHAPTER 51

My leg bumps up and down as we drive back to my apartment, anxiety flooding through me as my mind races.

Carlos places a calming hand on my knee as he overtakes a car, tracing small circles with his thumb as I bite my tongue.

Why does he have Mama?

I don't understand. He's been trying to get to me and Carlos this entire time, why bring her into it?

As much as I try to deny it, it makes sense. He knows how much I love her, he knows she's my one weakness. He knows I'm going to come and get her. And he'll be waiting...

He's using Mama as bait, bait he knows I'll take.

He can't hurt her. I won't let him, I won't let him hurt her again.

I couldn't save Mama all those nights up in my room, but I can save her now.

"Fia? You still with me?" Carlos asks softly, and I snap out of my thoughts when I realise we're back at my apartment.

"Yeah," I breathe out, nodding as I open the door and step out of the car, cursing my hands for trembling as I shut the car door.

"We're going to find her," Carlos says gently, cupping my face as he smiles at me.

"Please," I whisper, watching as his eyes soften, "I promise Fia," he says, gently kissing my forehead as I close my eyes.

"Let's go get ready," I say, taking a deep breath as I walk around to the front of the apartment.

I smile as Carlos places a reassuring arm around me and opens the front door, shutting and locking it behind us as we walk upstairs to our room.

I walk into the walk-in robe and pull out the drawer I filled with clothes for missions.

Adelyn calls it my 'emo drawer' because all the clothes are black. But why wouldn't they be?

I pull on a pair of black jeans and a black blouse, slipping into my black boots as I pull my hair into a ponytail.

"Are you sure you want to come?" Carlos asks, and I turn around to see him pulling on a black t-shirt.

"Why wouldn't I?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at him.

There is no way in hell that he's stopping me from coming.

"I don't want to put you in danger, especially now," he murmurs, his eyes darting down to my stomach.

"We found out today," I scoff, "I wouldn't even consider it a baby yet, I think I'll be fine," my tone is scathing as he sighs.

"I don't care, if anything happened to you," I cut him off with a glare, "I'll be fine, nothings happening to me," I say firmly, crouching down to pull out the bullet-proof vests.

"I just want you to be safe," Carlos pleads, "I can go in and out and get Clarisse," he continues.

"And I just want to go rescue Mama," I snap, "I'm going, end of story,"

I instantly regret my tone and stand up, "I'm sorry," I sigh, walking over to a dejected looking Carlos.

"I know Fia," he says, hugging me tightly, "I just want to keep you safe," he whispers.

"I will be safe," I promise, cupping his face in my hands, "I know how to take care of myself,"

"I know you do Fia," Carlos smiles, "But can you imagine the awkward conversation of having to tell Clarisse that I rescued her but lost her daughter?" he jokes feebly, trying to make light out of this situation.

"The only awkward conversation you'll have to have with Mama is telling her that you impregnated her daughter," I say firmly, throwing a bullet-proof vest at Carlos.

He chuckles weakly and sits on the bed, his eyes still unsure.

I pull on my vest and pull on the straps, tightening it as I try to squeeze the nerves out of me.

I feel like I'm going to be sick again.

No.

There's no reason to be nervous. We're going to get Mama back and it's all going to be ok.

Everything will be taken care of again. We can tell Mama that she's going to be a grandmother and she can help me. I won't have to do this alone.

Everything is going to be fine.

"You still with me Fia?" Carlos asks again, his eyebrows furrowing in concern as I look at him blankly.

"Everything's going to be fine," I breathe out, wiping my clammy hands on my jeans.

He hums, standing up as he brings me in for a hug, kissing the top of my head.

"We don't have time for this, we need to be quick," I say, pushing Carlos away as my nerves get the better of me.

"Of course Fia, we'll take my car, it's faster and already has equipment," he nods, wrapping an arm around me as he leads me out of the room.

Every step I take feels like my head is going deeper under water, anxiety bubbling through me as I blindly follow Carlos.

"Carlos what if we're too late?" I ask, looking up at him for guidance as he looks down at me.

"We won't be, I promise," he says firmly, "He'll be holding her hostage to bargain with, he won't hurt her,"

"Are you sure?" I ask, pushing the front door open to escape into the fresh air.

"I'm sure Fia, you won't have to do this without her, I promise," he says, his tone not wavering as he looks at me, an unreadable expression on his face.

I nod and lean into Carlos' side as we walk to the garage. He unlocks his car and opens the door for me, kissing me and shutting it as I get in.

I drum my fingers across my knee as Carlos gets in and starts the car, not waiting a second before reversing out of the driveway and turning out onto the road.

My head falls back on the headrest as I look at the backseat, pulling a black duffel bag onto my knee.

I put it at my feet and start loading the guns, trying to distract myself as Carlos drives faster than I've ever seen him.

I can't count how many speeding cameras flash at us as we go along the road.

"It's fine, I can pay them," Carlos mutters as I wince as another camera goes off.

"I'm sure you can," I breathe out a small laugh, shaking my head as I continue loading the guns.

Suddenly I'm grateful that the glass is tinted so the cameras can't see into the car and see the pile of guns at my feet.

I pull out my phone and search up the estate we're heading to, clicking on the photos to find a layout of the interior.

"There's an entrance at the back which would be easier to go into," I say, "There's a long corridor which splits off into two before the rest of the house," I scan over the layout as Carlos hums along.

"It's pretty small, so it'll be easy to find Mama," I say in a hopeful voice.

"We're going to find her Fia," Carlos says quietly, "Luca's on his way now with more men,"

"That's good," I murmur, looking at Carlos' phone and seeing that we're 5 minutes away.

It's going to be ok.

//

Buckle up guys...

I would just like to preface the next few chapters by saying that Carlos and Ophelia do get their happy ending.

Ik it was kinda short, but it was more a filler chapter so I could prepare the next ones,

I'll update the next 2 chapters tomorrow, so until then have a good day/night and don't forget to vote!!

Abi <3